Someone please help me!! Lorazepam

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on lorazepam for the last 5 weeks because of panic attacks. I've been on fluoxetine 40mg for nearly three years and it's stopped working. Lorazepam is the only thing that helps at the moment but I'm scared of addiction! I'm also on HRT and I don't know if that's affected things - last time I changed my dose of HRT I had panic attacks for months before I adjusted.

What do I do? I feel like I'm going to die, I'm just so scared and there's no reason to be...

Please - has anyone else had difficulties with panic attacks, benzos and HRT?

Thank you X

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I have been using Lorazepam since 2017, I know now that you can't count on any drug to be 100% effective on its own without me controlling to some degree my feelings, my fears, I had 2 panic attacks in the 3 years on Lorazepam, for me it's mostly some of the side effects, everytime I feel anxious or fear of something I start focusing on the present and the things I like and love at that moment, whatever is going to happen it's going to happen and try to keep myself busy. It's not easy but it does help me alot, you're not going to die or anything else, it's the Anxiety that makes us believe it's real.

• Posted

First of all believe me I can relate. I too used to have terrible panic attacks and I know you believe you are going to die but you won't! It is hard I know at the time to believe this when you are going through a panic attack but the fear in itself is so strong while you are having it that all control over body and mind is lost and instinct says you must react to protect yourself. But remember this it is only the fear you are feeling at the time and the fear will not kill you. You will only have to learn some coping tools when these feelings come on ie breathing techniques etc. and also the triggers that may be contributing to the attacks. I too remember taking atavin (lorazepam) for my panic attacks several years ago. The only problem was I would take it everyday in fear of having a panic attack rather than taking it only when I would feel the onset of one coming. Well needless to say I became dependent on the atavin for about a year or so. This was only because I failed to understand the doctor's instructions on its use. But anyway I did eventually see another doctor and she put me on an anti-depressant for a while until I was able to wean off the ativan. Glad to say that was many years ago and was how I was able to beat the lorazepam addiction. Hope this helps and good luck!

• Posted

You will not die unless you overdose on the medication. Celebrities and people die from taking benzo medication when they overdose, so be safe and follow the doctors advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.