Someone please put my mind at rest?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m 27 year old male in generally good health.

So I’m writing this after leaving A&E.... they couldn’t really tell me what the problem was... back story is I suffer from bad anxiety. Panic attacks with the symptoms mostly being extreme fear/dread in stomach, too many thoughts, dizziness, racing heart.... I was put on Citalopram 10mg and going up to 20mg next Monday... also taking 40mg of Propranolol 3 times a day.... I started them 8 days ago and been fine and the anxiety has been kept at bay... 

But tonight I came home and lay down to go for a nap and my heart seemed like it just stopped for a second and then started beating irregularly... I began to panic a little as I’ve NEVER in my life experienced this before. I thought I was having a heart attack and was struggling to breathe or at least I thought I was. I was light headed, dizzy, feeling heavy, cold, shakes.... just really terrifying. I was so worried I called an ambulance. They did all the usual checks and said everything was fine... 

They took me up to hospital for piece of mind and the nurse did checks and said I was fine... the irony is I felt fine when they were both treating me...

I just want to know what it is? Is it related to either of my medication? And if so I want off it. I can not handle that again. I’m due to take my 3rd propranolol pill in a couple hours and I’m so scared it happens again. Someone please help me... what is happening to me??? Should I take the pill or not? What if it happens again? I’m so scared. 

I’m phoning my gp first thing in the morning but I’m also scared to sleep tonight. 

I sought help to get better and it seems like more problems are being caused. I’m so exhausted by this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I have been on 20mg of citalopram for 3 weeks now. To start with I was ok but around week 2 my anxiety and depression got worse. I'm told baby my gp and many people this is normal. Try to hang in there. I found diazepam a great help too. Good luck xx

• Posted

Those are all side effects of celexa..your not alone.. diazapam will ease your yucky feelings.take care
  • Posted

Thanks for the responses smile

So I’ve been to see my gp who has said that what happened was a classic example of a panic attack... however personally I’d never had a panic attack so bad like that before which is why I was so scared. It was really bad.

He did say though that the medication will just be doing its job and it is just bringing out ‘underlying’ anxiety. He told me to keep on taking my medication and it will get better eventually, just stick with it! 

Did say however that if I continue to get heart palpations or irregular heartbeats, they may need to fit a 24 hour monitor on me just to check. 

It would be nice to hear people’s experiences after these side effects wear off. Is it worth all the pain and suffering?

• Posted

Hey Jamie, 

those are side effects.

It takes a good (honestly)2 months before they start disappearing. It's a long way, your problems won't get fixed overnight. Stay strong and time will pass by.

I started taking citalopram 2 years ago, and honestly my life now is 100x better than before thanks to it (that and psychotherapy). But it takes A LONG time for the "gears" to start working really well. Be patient, it will eventually happen.

Also about the heart: I had palpitations (flutters in my chest) and went through the whole battery of tests: ECG, echo CG, treadmill stress test, holter monitor - > everything was ok, I was given no meds for the heart or anything. I found that orange juice (or bananas, high in potassium) helps a lot with the palpitations.

After the meds have settled in, you should find a good psychologist so you modify your thought pattern (which caused us anxiety in the first place).

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.