someone talk some sense into me!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hey guys,

so i went through a rough period of health anxiety that was focused around my heart (checking my pulse 24/7, worrying about a heart attack etc) to the point where ive had so many tests done its ridiculous.

ive had about 4 chest xrays, probably 8 or 9 EKG's, a chest ct scan, a heart sonogram, every blood test possible, and i was even referred to a cardiologist where i did a treadmill stress test. the cardiologist along with every other doctor told me that the possibility of anything being wrong with my heart are basically slim to absolutely none. and i accepted that and moved on and havent been worried since.

but now anxiey is trying to rear its ugly head and make me think somethings wrong again rolleyes getting minor chest pains and other random pains i used to get. im trying so hard to tell myself its just anxiety its just anxiety... someone help talk some sense into me!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Im going through the same thing, im a 32 year old male, ive had every test in the book, all negative, my doctor says its anxiety, i have the little chest pains but it turns out it as nothing. All the symptoms of heart issues are there but the docs say my heart is healthy. The only way i deal with it is take one day at a time, do some relaxation excersizes, and make some positive life changes. Im sorry to hear your problem and i hope things get bettetlr
    • Posted

Ron, this sounds like classic anxiety. Your doctor is most likely absolutely correct. Most all of here have found that to get on the right anti anxiety meds is the best first step. Then, thinking more clearl,y we do others things that assist us to cope. Please look into meds.

I am not big on drugs at all, HOWEVER, the exception is anxiety meds. I was very lucky that my doctor hit the right one for me first try. What a difference! I felt like a sane person again, and learned loads of ways to help myself... and was calm enough to carry them out.

Think about this very seriously. hugs

• Posted

Michelle,

I am sorry that you are going through this. I understand where you are coming from because this is exactly what I have been dealing with for about 6 weeks. Like you, my logical mind says to let it go, but anxiety wants to hold on to it. Are you seeking help for your anxiety? I just started therapy, but plan to look into medication due to daily anxiety attacks. I'm hoping to start that soon to see if I can start to get out of this cycle. All the tests are reassuring, but that only lasts for so long before anxiety takes over again. I understand your frustration about wanting to get back to your normal life. It is hard.

• Posted

Good for you for starting therapy. Checking into meds is a good idea. Most of the time, at the beginning of dealing with anxiety, the right meds make all the difference, and can often help with the therapy. Let us know how it goes for you.

You gave Michelle good advice. Helping others get through this feels good, doesn't it? All the very best to you and a big hug.wink

• Posted

Bless you! I think your symptoms relate to anxiety! It's absolutely horrible to feel like this! I'm going though a bad patch at the moment! Just can't seem to shut off from it! Hope you you get back to yourself soon x

• Posted

I think you have to learn to fight it, I think there comes a point when you ha e to learn to tell yourself you qre absolutely fine.
  • Posted

Thank you everyone else for the positive feedback. I hate that I'm getting re-trapped in this stupid anxiety when there's absolutely nothing wrong with my heart. I was going to therapy, but I was having to pay out of pocket and can no longer afford to go. I know deep down nothing is wrong but we all know how anxiety is rolleyes my doc prescribed me Zoloft but it takes me a while to work myself up to taking meds. I've been taking .25mg of klonopin to help which it has been helping me up until yesterday

• Posted

I've fought this for yrs & I truly do have a heart problem just to make my anxiety more outta control.  I finally gave it up & agreed to take a very tiny amt of Xanax ...not generic, it won't work.  I have zero anxiety.  I have pharm drugs but there comes a time if you want to function ....

i also do meditation, yoga and it helps.  By tiny amt, .25 every morning.

i don't know if this info will help you but I know what you r dealing with & I know your desperation for help.  Good luck and God bless

• Posted

There is no such thing in this world as JUST anxiety. It is a horrible, scary thing. The first thing anyone dealing with anxiety should do is, get on an anti amxiety med. It may take a couple of tries to find the best one. I was lucky on the first try.

Michelle, it changed my life. I felt sane again. Then I found this forum and got support and great ideas on other things I could do to cope, and feel alive and happy again. 

I also want to suggest that you read lots of the input of others here. It will help you see you are not alone, you will get ideas that feel right for you to try, and you might even see messages that you want to answer...maybe giving someone comfort or encouragement.

You sound like you have a lot of courage...use it to face this challenge and grab it by the throat when it "rears it's ugly head."redface You go girl!!

• Posted

I work in a hospital and regularly do ECGs on patients. ECGs are so reliable I promise smile

• Posted

Instead of getting tested and constantly checking on your heart if you spend your time and energy researching and practicing heart healthy ideas you can feel the tests you've taken are still valid for a long time.

• Posted

Its hard when you don't know what is going on. When its anxieties or heart problems. 

Anxieties can play a big role in how people feel 

Hope you feel better

• Posted

How are you handling the anxiety disorder symptoms? Are you taking anything? Are you in therapy? 
  • Posted

If they cleared you your fine. Just remember every time you get chest pain know it's anxiety. It's great to know it's not your heart so that is a great relief on your mind.

Chest pain is caused by tense chest muscles... And that's usually caused by chest breathing. So you need to learn to breath properly.. Get on YouTube and learn Anxiety Breathing techniques / Meditation. So you can get the pressure of your chest which will help with the chest pain. When I fixed my breathing and added magnesium it all went away.

Also get into progressive muscle relaxation.. Their is a chest stretch which helps with chest pain. But I think the Magnesium 500-1000mg daily will take away almost all your chest pain on top of the breathing exercises.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.