Something is stuck under my right rib!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

For the last 3 months I've had this feeling that something is stuck under my right rib. It's really bizarre as it is constant and does not want to let up. It's not painful at all, just a dull ache and uncomfortable. Sometimes when I press on it, I hear gurgling sounds and popping which kind of relieves a bit. It also sometimes travels under my left rib but I that quickly resolves it self. Standing up is better than sitting down but even so it doesn't leave. My other symptoms include thinner stools than my normal but frequency remain the same, burping and bloating.

I had a h pylori infection when I first presented with the symptoms which I have treated and confirmed eradication with an endoscopy. They've also checked food allergies which came back negative.

I had a CT scan, ultrasound and chest x Ray to rule out pancreas, liver, kidneys and gallbladder. Endoscopy came back fine.

I'm 24 and eat reasonably well.

Could this be Ibs? I mean could the pain be constant. Or can it still be my gallbladder ...

I'd appreciate any input

Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have had the exact same thing for the past 8 or 9 months now, went to the dr.  had blood work, urine screen, ultrasound, all came back normal.  It will let  up for a little while and then comes back, doesn't hurt just really annoying.  I have been doing a lot of research to try and figure out what it is and I believe it is a sub-category of IBS called Hepatic flexure syndrome, look it up.  I have been taking peppermint oil, a high quality probiotic and digestive enzymes.  It helps some but it's still there, some days much more pronounced than others.  I have found that when I am stressed it is worse.  I am going to start the FODMAP diet, it is supposed to help with IBS symptoms.  If you find out anything different please share. 
  • Posted

Ive had the same under rib cage doctors told me i had gall stones and sludge in my gall bladder i had to have my gall bladder removed
  • Posted

have your GI doctor evaluate you for sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. I've been dealing with the same problem for 3 years since I had my gallbladder removed. I've exhausted all options and this is what my GI thinks I have. so I'm being sent to MUSC to be evaluated for it. i started having my symptoms shortly after my gallbladder was removed 3 years ago. its progressively gotten worse over the years. I've had every test known to man. I've been on every medication for your stomach. I even had abdominal surgery where they went in and looked for abdominal adhesions to see if that was the problem. Look up sphincter of Oddi. hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.