Something popped out of place in my knee

Posted , 4 users are following.

This kind of thing has been happening to me since I was a teenager, but these past two times have been very different - especially today. An example of what can cause this to happen: If I'm sitting cross legged on the ground and I get up too quickly. Usually I can reverse my actions and put whatever it is back in place... but sometimes I have to straighten my leg and whatever it is pops back into place. These past two times have been different because straightening my leg doesn't do anything. It doesn't hurt to have my leg straight at all, but walking on it is VERY painful. The last time it happened I was able to make my way across my house to reach the phone and call my wife, but by the time I got to the phone it popped back into place. The pain subsided in about 1-2 weeks. Today I slipped in the snow and the same thing happened, but no matter how much I massage around my knee cap and painfully walk around the house, I can't get it to pop back into place. Currently I have my legs on a foot rest with a warm on my knee. There's no bruising or swelling. Also, my kneecap is front and center so it doesn't seem to be that. 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

It's worth adding that the first incident where straightening my leg didn't resolve the issue was caused by being on my knees scrubbing a tub. 

• Posted

You’re dislocating your knee joint. I had this for years, every time I got in my car my knee dislocated and I ended up getting back out, as soon as I stood on it, it clunked back into place.

I also had grating in my knees which were very stiff. Eventually my arthritis was so bad I had both knees replaced. But there are other things to try first, you need to see an orthopaedic surgeon, they can do lots of things to make your knees last longer.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, Laura. I'm able to move my knee cap in all directions North, East, South, West. Is that still normal of a dislocated knee joint? Also, I've been trying my hardest to walk around the house in hopes that it fixes itself but it's being really stubborn and not popping back into place. Any tips?

• Posted

you need to flex your quad hard enough and it will pop back in to place but you have to do it while standing up

• Posted

It’s the clunk feeling when it pops back into place that gives it away. Is there any way you could get to see a physio? They would be able to tell you. Also ice is better than heat, reduces swelling inside the knee, frozen peas if no ice pack, wrapped in a towel, 20 mins on every hour.

You might be able to get a steroid injection from your gp and a referral. I had several arthroscopies, which cleared out bits of cartilage that were jamming my knees, then had a micrfracture done, which lasted for a couple of years, but you really need to get it properly diagnosed, I don’t want to suggest anything which might make it worse. It’s so painful to get it back sometimes,I remember the feeling.

• Posted

My problem at the moment (other than the obvious) is I don't have health insurance and I can't afford to pay out of pocket for the kind of doctor visit this would require. Just so I understand correctly, my knee cap can move North, South, East and West but that doesn't mean it's not a dislocated knee joint?

• Posted

Also, does resting really help much? I've been resting my leg for about 5-6 hours now.

• Posted

I could move mine, but it kept jamming, it was the broken off cartilage inside that got stuck, most of the time I could get it back just by straightening my leg and standing on it, but it hurt like hell when it went back. Got to the stage where both my lower legs were going outwards, really knock kneed, Your gp should refer you on the nhs if it’s so painful. Are you in the U.K.?
    • Posted

The last time this happened and it popped back into place it felt amazing. It hurt for a second but it certainly felt better. Every hour I get up and go to the bathroom I walk on it (which is obviously very painful) but still, no popping back into place. What should I do if it doesn't go back into place by itself?  How long should I wait before seeking help from a doctor to put it back into place?

• Posted

I would speak to a doctor as soon as possible, it could be the ligament thats trapped.
    • Posted

Thank you, Laura. My cousin came over to attempt to put it back in place. It was a careful attempt that did not succeed, but we did notice one thing. I'm able to turn my leg to the left and it doesn't hurt, but if I turn it to the right it's very painful. 

• Posted

H Richard, is the knee any easier?
    • Posted

Hi, Laura. Yes & No. After some icing and Ibuprofen it's easier to stand on and less sensitive but the issue is still present. I have another day off today so I'll be resting it all day and then tomorrow I'll figure out if a Doctor visit is required (although I will go eventually even if the issue subsides). 

• Posted

You might find it sorts itself out with a bit of rest, but there’s definitely something wrong by the sound of it.
  • Posted

did you ever get a diagnosis!! this exact same thing has happened to me for the past 6 years

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.