Something to maybe help lesson worry about this condition

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have spent a lot of time today researching lichen sclerosus again as I thought there may be some more thoughts on the topic out there.  I found one comment repeated several times by various authors which I thought might help some members to understand why it is important that we prevent flare ups and scarring from this terrible disease. 

The disease itself does not cause cancer...........It is the fact that scarred tissue can develop a cancer that makes treatment so important. 

So I am now certain that using the clobetasol to treat the ls is a good idea as scarring tends to make skin thick and clobetasol would thin it down and help prevent further scarring.  I have been worrying about the atrophy but I now think that I at least do not have much scarring. The skin is smooth and by keeping it well moisturised I do not suffer much from active ls and when I do I can calm things down quickly.  I hope that by sharing this I can help others to understand the need for treating early and often.   

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for sharing this. I always get confused when they mention scar tissue. Is the scar tissue the white patches or a change in vulva architecture? I remember Morrell explained it to me in another post.
    • Posted

See my comment to Morrell below about white patches.
  • Posted

Could not agree more, Chrisy.  We spend too much time worrying about the possible harm that Clobetasol might do to us  and not enough time being thankful that it will actually thin the skin and prevent the scarring that would lead to cancer.  This is why I was reassured by the Care Down There information.
  • Posted

Scarring causes the smoothed-out architecture. I believe that white patches are almost unavoidable, even with longterm proper treatment. I'm content if I'm not torn, raw, sore, itchy, bumpy or infected. White is just appearance.
    • Posted

From what I have been told the white is when the ls is active.  I would always treat a white area but not other areas unless sore and itchy.  My itching only occurs when there are white patches.  Fortunately not often now. Thanks for the explanation about the smoothed-out architecture.
    • Posted

My white patches still haven't faded..was diagnosed in January. I have read that they can take a long time to fade. By a long time I'm not sure what time frame.
    • Posted

nor me, anyone any ideas?. i suppose we are all different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.