Something wrong with my tooth

Posted , 1 user is following.

So, about a year ago, in February I noticed that I had a rotten tooth, somewhere in the back of my mouth. I had noticed the small hole in my tooth when I was brushing my teeth so I went to the dentist and had it repaired. Since it caused me pain whilst the dentist was doing his job, he used anesthesia and removed my nerve and then filled the tooth. Everything alright, just that immediately after the deed was done (as soon as I arrived home from the dentist) I noticed that the root of my teeth was now a kind of dark-grey. I shrugged it off thinking it is due to the things that he put in and since it wasn't causing pain I did not do anything.

However, just today after eating something, I used my tongue to feel my teeth and when I got there I felt something wrong. At a closer inspection in the mirror, it looked like the tooth yielded? I'm not sure how to explain but basically the upper part of the tooth, the grey one seemed to be disconnected from the bottom half (like there's two layers of the same tooth). The tooth is still solid but it feels differently, like a chipped tooth on the side.

Now, I kind of have a phobia of dentist stuff, especially when it comes to removing teeth and putting others on but is my problem grave? I assume I can find an angle and upload a picture of my tooth if necessary.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hello mighty21,  are you 21? well, to begin with, what you described is a root canal, although they correct way they are done is the root is removed, then a temporary fillin goes in and then you go back in a couple of weeks and they put a crown on the tooth.  if that didnt happen, i wouldnt be going back to that dentist.  another thing,, there really is no way you should be seeing the root part of that tooth.  i may be misunderstanding what youre saying.....it actually sounds like a sideways crack ...mighty, i just dont know but i think you should go very soon to another dentist. you dont want to lose that tooth and if you wait too long, you will.  im sorry i couldnt be of more help. good luck.
    • Posted

I think I'm just confused. What I meant was, that the upper part of my tooth, the one that connects into the gums is a dark-grey colour, something like a dead tooth might look like. I have just brushed my teeth and I noticed it is bleeding as well. Should a dead tooth bleed? What I think I have done was chip my tooth while eating something hard and maybe that's why it feels like cracked? Anyway, my dentist did do a root canal and only after that he added the permanent filling to my tooth as I was pressed by time and could not come back for another appointment. But anyway, that is trivial since I am 1500kms away from him now. I believe I will have to go and register with a dentist on Monday, as dreadful as this might sound.. and have it checked out. Although I would like to know whether it is grave or not based on what I described in order to prepare myself mentally for the appointment lol.

• Posted

Also, forgot to mention that only the outer bit feels cracked. I can feel with my tongue that the inner part is in tact, only the outer part is cracked, whatever this might mean. 
    • Posted

well, the tooth cant bleed so its the surrounding tissue. are you being careful when you brush?  and the gray are, i do believe a tooth can start to turn dark before it decays or dies.  the other still sounds like a crack, which you shouldnt have.  just go to another dentist.  i guess the one you did go to put a permanent filling in b/c you said you werent coming back b/c you are suppose to get a crown. take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.