Somewhat concerned....

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all,

about 4 weeks ago I was at our caravan with my family. At quarter to one in the morning, I started sweating profusely; tingling in arms and my heart was pacing very fast. I had no choice but to call an ambulance. On the ambulance they queried SVT and AF??

once at a and e they gave me Adenosine, which was awful. They then gave me another drug IV. After 7 hours! My heartbeat returned to a much more acceptable beat. I was then discharged on 10mg Bisoprolol. Subsequent visits to hospital with "apparent" heart complaints and a combination of other physical problems a number of individuals have said that they thought 10mg was a bit on the high side???

since then I have developed an unwanted byproduct. I believe to be suffering from some sort of anxiety disorder. I don't believe I'm suffering from any side effects - apart from a slow pulse of 48, which my partner is somewhat concerned about, but I believe that is a result of the bisoprolol. I do feel a little "heavy" and "non energetic" but other than that just a feeling of being a little scared.

i get my 24hour ECG tape next Friday and hopefully an appointment with the cardiologist for a definitive diagnosis.

what I want to know is, is SVT a result of lifestyle and can I do something about it or is a congenital problem and there's nothing I can do about it and it was going to happen anyway.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

from a slightly worried individual.

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I quite understand that you would be anxious after this experience. SVT and AF are quite different and can only really be positively diagnosed from studying an ECG at the time that the incident is taking place (that's my understanding anyway). You need to see a cardiologist and have tests as soon as possible. 
  • Posted

It was the paramedic that queried SVT and/or AF. I still haven't received an official diagnosis but I haven't heard the AF since but SVT I have. So I'm assuming it is SVT. the hospital I was taken to did not send the ECG traces - where they actually caught the SVT on trace. So any ECG's catching the SVT trace no one else has seen. So as far as the consultants I have seen since they're not aware and haven't seen the traces. I am hoping that when I see the cardiologist he has got all my ECGs in front of him. I might chase up the other hospital.
  • Posted

Hello.  I was also told I had SVT but later it was confirmed as paroxysmal AFib.  You can only really get a proper diagnosis when you can manage to get an ECG whilst the problem is occurring.  Otherwise you are told all is well.  It took me over six months to actually catch an episode on an ECG, so I would agree with what has been said here.  Even then, the GP came bounding in and told me I had SVT, but it wasn't until a hospital episode some time later, that the condition was correctly identified as AF.  When you are next experiencing the same problem, get yourself to the local surgery and insist on an ECG there and then - they won't turn you away, it would be too risky for them.  Then get the tracing properly identified when the GP refers you to the cardiologist, taking it with you if necessary.
  • Posted

I'm on 10mg bisoprolol to stop the attacks. The speeding heart rate was caught on ECG trace but because I was in a different hospital for some reason they did not pass on the traces. So when I visited my main hospital because of chest pain - it was an anxiety attack - they didn't know about my previous attack. Had the other hospital passed on my traces they would have known. But, I'm hoping to see my cardiologist soon and hopefully he will have all my traces in front of him including the ones that were caught on trace..
    • Posted

So until you get a confirmed diagnosis, there is not much you can do except wait.  However, as this is a Bisoprolol site mainly, then I would still say that 10mg is a very high dose and it will depend on your toleration of this in the future.  Not everyone has all or any of the side effects you read about here and I hope things go well for you.
  • Posted

It appears some medical person has selected Bisop and a dosage of 10mg as some sort of "catch all" solution as I am unable to see it listed under the protocols for SVT

If you feel comfortable with reading about med conditions I suggest you google some and see what is written. There are some very good sites with information and you need to understand what the consultant is saying when you finally get to see him. Sooner rather than later. They do have "emergency" appointments so get hold of his/her secretary to get the details.

• Posted

Billhopefull, what do you mean when you say "catchall" situation? 
    • Posted

By 'catchall" I mean you have been prescribed ONE medication in the hope/belief that it will help to reduce ALL of your symptoms (heart rate and BP). Until they have time to diagnose exactly what may be wrong and use a specific med. for a specific purpose.
  • Posted

Hi Razorback --Just thought I would add that there is a "discussion group" on "Petmeds" titled "Bisoporol buddies" and there are some people on there who have been through similar experiences of bisop. 10mg.

Also one person reckons he has calculated for his own condition that bisop "peaked " between 2-4 hours after taking and the half-life lasted 10-12 hours.

I would agree with his 2-4 based on my own experiences - can't really do the 10-12 half life as I take my bisop at 5/6 hourly intervals  14:00 , 18:00 and and 23:00

dosage 1.25. Reason for the 1st dosage being at 14:00 is because I take ~Digoxin (a heart rate controller) at 08:00 and it peaks at 6 hours

It took me 12 months to sort these dosages out. I do have a pacemaker as I suffered from "pauses" and since the PM life has improved. Am now 74. All this started 2003.

• Posted

Hi there,

I had similar experience to you - was initially dfiagnosed with SVT or AF and put on Bisoprolol 2.5mg which was gradually increased to 10mg. After various attempts with monitors to capture episodes I was finally given diagnosis of AF. Bisoprolol did nothing for me except make me very lethargic, am now on digoxin which has reduced my AF but not taken it away. Docs reluctant to decrease Bisoprolol but I'm gradually doing that for myself with no effects as yet. I also had huge anxiety issues at the beginning which seemed to make my symptoms worse - the anxiety decreased for me as I learnt more about my condition, connected with others on this web site, tried a bit of relaxation therapy and convinced myself I wasn't actually going to die with the AF!! It's quite a journey and a steep learning curve but there are lots of us out there offering support! All the best Maggie

• Posted

Hi Razorback, 10mg seems a high dose of Bisoprolol for them to start you off on, they usually start with it at lower dose and gradually build up. How fast was your heart going when you had the original episode ? SVT I have been assured isn't dangerous just very unpleasant (I can vouch for that as I have had it)

It can be triggered by various things depending upon the individual, various foods, eating too late etc - Alcohol is almost guaranteed to set mine off.

There sounds to be a pretty poor level of communication between your Hospitals, make sure that they don't get away with continually dismissing it as anxiety or before long they will be trying to get you to take Citalopram or one of those other horrible SSRI drugs.

• Posted

I have had SVT for over two years. With and without treatment by Bisoprolol and now by Verapamil (as I didn't like the side effects of Bisoprolol - even at 1.25mg) I have still had occasional "events". I have found no obvious "trigger", to the events. My own view is that they are random. 

• Posted

I will be making an appointment with my doctor to see if it is at all possible to get copies of my ECG traces where the SVT is caught. What I don't want is to go to my cardiologist and he or she doesn't have my traces and can't make a diagnosis. I have a 24hr ECG monitor this Friday but I'm not sure if it will catch anything because of my medication. I have felt the occasional niggle like my heart is about to speed up but it doesn't presumably because of the bisoprolol. Will keep you posted. Just checking my BP. 145/80 p57 on the right. 144/86 p51 on the left. My BP appears to be stabilising because up until now it's be up and down and my pulse has been middle 40's. never smoked and have 4 weeks ago stopped drinking. Anyway will keep you posted.
    • Posted

This response may be "invalid" until you have your condition correctly diagnosed but picking up on 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.