Somewhat concerned....

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all,

about 4 weeks ago I was at our caravan with my family. At quarter to one in the morning, I started sweating profusely; tingling in arms and my heart was pacing very fast. I had no choice but to call an ambulance. On the ambulance they queried SVT and AF??

once at a and e they gave me Adenosine, which was awful. They then gave me another drug IV. After 7 hours! My heartbeat returned to a much more acceptable beat. I was then discharged on 10mg Bisoprolol. Subsequent visits to hospital with "apparent" heart complaints and a combination of other physical problems a number of individuals have said that they thought 10mg was a bit on the high side???

since then I have developed an unwanted byproduct. I believe to be suffering from some sort of anxiety disorder. I don't believe I'm suffering from any side effects - apart from a slow pulse of 48, which my partner is somewhat concerned about, but I believe that is a result of the bisoprolol. I do feel a little "heavy" and "non energetic" but other than that just a feeling of being a little scared.

i get my 24hour ECG tape next Friday and hopefully an appointment with the cardiologist for a definitive diagnosis.

what I want to know is, is SVT a result of lifestyle and can I do something about it or is a congenital problem and there's nothing I can do about it and it was going to happen anyway.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

from a slightly worried individual.

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you had SVT the adenosine should work immediately (it's one way they diagnose it – if it doesn't work it's probably something else, AF being one of them). I suffer from chronic anxiety and occasional palpitations which until recently I dealt with myself but the last bout was so bad I went to A&E where they gave me the dreaded adenosine which put my heart right in 10 seconds.

So... I can tell you that SVT is a result of a mis-wiring of the electrical pathways in your heart which you are probably born with but in my case anxiety certainly triggers an attack – so it's both. Personally I avoid caffeine, getting dehydrated or hung over, and too much excitement but other than that I have just started on 10 mg propanolol which seems to be calming me down wonderfully. Sorry not to be much help but I think you need a definitive diagnosis, and we're all different.

• Posted

I've read that 6mg of adenosine converts 65%, 12mg 90% and 18mg 95% . They only gave me 6mg and because I didn't tolerate it very we'll they used IV propranolol. I don't know whether that worked they didn't tell me. But my pacing heart eventually returned to "normal" after about 7 hours. Now I believe that AF is identified then it is dangerous to administer adenosine. They didn't tell me anything. I still don't know what it is, but all I have heard since in system is SVT. I find it frustrating and unbelievable that no one seems to know or are not telling me. Is the cardiologist the only person that can diagnose me? Surely a diagnosis was made when I was first admitted and they treated me....
    • Posted

I think your treatment is perfectly standard. I was in A&E with (supposed) SVT on 11th June; I moved as fast as I could via GP but my appt for 24 hr tape and echocardiogram isn't till 20th August and consultation with cardiologist not till 1st October!!! Like you I don't understand why the palpitations caught on ECG at the time can't definitively be diagnosed as SVT but there you go. I just want one of those ablations (?) which zap the problem for good, I dont like taking drugs. But don't worry, you'll be fine, it sounds to me like some of your problem is down to anxiety and you might benefit from counselling... talking helps.
    • Posted

Yes. The counselling I did consider because my anxiety initially was quite bad; and since I come from - particularly on my dad's side, some on my mums side - a family that have experienced numerous mental health problems; and to exacerbate things somewhat I worked in mental health I was all too aware of my susceptibility. I believe I have the anxiety under control. I also think the 10mg bisoprolol didn't help so I'm now on 5mg.  But the thing that is disconcerting (not overly) is if it is AF then why aren't i on blood thinners...because with AF the chances of stroke are high. My echo is this Thursday. My consultation with the cardiologist is the 13th October. So do you have PSVT?
    • Posted

That's what they said in A&E and they seemed very sure and it does tie up with my symptoms – lifetime of occasional sudden onset palpitations – it's just that the most recent was 5 hours long and made me so lightheaded I couldn't stand up! Had to get a taxi to the hospital. I too have my anxiety under control... or so I think... but the one thing I can't control is the adrenaline and pounding heart. Ah well, I'll see what they say - in October! Good luck to you. 
  • Posted

Hi all, went for my echocardiogram today. Had a look at the monitor trying to remember what they all looked like and remember my heart trace. The usual antics of a not so concerned individual. Then check on google....... [eyes rolling]

anyway, she said nothing to worry about. I said I haven't had an official diagnosis yet, not until October... She said all the tests you've had build up a record then the cardiologist can make a diagnosis. She went on, if there was anything untoward going on you would know about it by now.

so, just got to wait til October. Will keep you posted.

• Posted

The cardiologist will look at it in a day or so. Why can he not then write to you to put your mind at rest? He probably won't even write to your GP until he has seen you.
  • Posted

Also, is it general practise to measure, wasn't sure which chamber it was but am assuming one of the atria...???
  • Posted

I have had my appointment cancelled several times now. I think it is completely unsatisfactory. Can I write to the cardiologist and ask for a diagnosis by letter? My concern is that I may not be on the right medication. If is AF then shouldn't I be on blood thinning medication. My father had wolf Parkinson's white syndrome, have I got it, I need to know so that I can be treated accordingly. Is it PSVT, I don't know...am I on the right treatment, I don't know. This situation is bordering unacceptability. Half a year for a diagnosis???? Come on.... I suppose my saving grace is that if it was something serious then I'm hoping I'd have been pulled in by now. Having said that considering the state of the NHS it wouldn't surprise me!!! 

So can I write to the department asking for a letter of diagnosis?

• Posted

Write to PALS ( The Patient Advice and Liaison Service )

at the hospital. They take up your complaint and make sure that you get an answer.

If you google PALS and go to the NHS Choices site where you can put in your post code to get the local address to contact.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.