Somthing came back with my blood test, advice needed please

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I went to the doctors last week about stomach pain I've been having at the lower left side, I had this 5 months ago and the doctors just brushed me off. So I got a blood and urine sample taken. Also I've had h pylori in the past.

So I got a letter from the doctors saying I had to contact them so gave them a phone and was told I need to wait two weeks for a culture to come back. So I'm now booked in to see the doctor on the 14th and I'm worried sick what does waiting for a culture mean?

I usually always healthy and only 34 male slightly overweight thought junk food don't drink or smoke.

Also my auntie died last year very suddenly from cancer in the stomach and I usually don't worrie or think too much about my health but since that I've started to get myself all worried thinking the worst possible outcome.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated also would it be worth going private ? I feel my doctors just move at a snails pace.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

They are probably looking for bacteria in your urine. I have had many UTIs (urinary tract infections) over the last eight years and they always send of the sample so that they can make sure they treat the infection with the right antibiotic. If you have a UTI then it's far better to treat it with the right antibiotic than just give you a broad spectrum one which probably won't work anyway.

as for going private, the only advantage I can see is that the whole process is quicker. Otherwise treatment is no different and I have to say that if I was seriously ill I'd want to be in a big NHS teaching hospital rather than a private one. 

• Posted

Firstly, it isn't cancer. It's most likely to H-pylori (which is present in about 50% of the population). They're growing a culture to see. It is treated with a course of three different antibiotics over a couple of weeks.
  • Posted

Thanks for the replys. I have started to change my diet since Monday cut out all spicy foods and trying to eat a lot more fruit and veg. Is things like lemon and orange juice bad for people with h pylori? I have been squeezing a lemon into a 2 little bottle of water a day and juicing a bag of oranges a day since Monday but not sure if it's a good thing or not since its citrus?
    • Posted

Hi george39130

HPylori is not tested for with a urine sample it is usually tested with a breath test, stool test or endoscopy. Having a urine culture test suggests testing for urine/kidney infection because of the pain your having in your side. The culture is waiting for any bacteria in your urine to show an infection which will take a period of time. If HPylori is back, erring on the side of caution, it is best to stick to a bland diet. No spicey foods, fried foods NO CITRUS fruit or drinks or fizzy drinks. Eat poached fish, eggs, plain cooked chicken, plain yogurt with good bacterial cultures add grapes blueberries strawberries. Have fermented soya milk blend with the fruit mentioned as a drink....warm tea or decaf coffee not too hot.....hope this helps George and you get a speedy diagnosis.......best wishes

• Posted

I'm not sure if the culture test was for the urine or blood test I've also been getting indigestion and feel the need to burp a lot the past week. I've no idea what's going on with me but thought it was probably the h pylori again
    • Posted

Hi george39130

Perhaps doc testing for urine infection and HPylori. Did your doc take blood and urine sample?. HP doesn't always show up in a blood test. I would follow the bland diet and wait for your results.......stop stressing it will make your symptoms worse....

• Posted

Yes both blood and urine samples were took, I also ordered some probiotics and mastic gun that should arrive today so along with the bland diet hopefully if it's h pylori I should fix it pretty fast 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.