Son, 21, diagnosed with cervical spondylosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

My son was diagnosed after 2 MRIs and several years of pain in his neck and joints, with CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS. However, I Can't stop thinking that there has to be an underlying reason that all of his joints hurt, he has bone spurs, bulging discs and thinning discs. That just doesn't make sense at such a young age and very healthy and WAS very active. He tested negative for Rheumatoid Arthritis . What could be causing this pain that hes been experiencing since he was in middle school and doctors can't find anything other than a spine of an old man. DOES ANYONE know what could be causing this? We're desperate

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

C\S could be the cause of seriously painful joints, neck, shoulder blades , shoulders and arms. The spinal cord is being compromised, possibly at several levels i.e. C3,4,5,6 and 7.

Usually surgery is the only answer, but that in itself could carry risks. Have you spoken to a neurologist yet?

Mike.

• Posted

Hi Mike Thanks for the reply! Yes, we've been to orthopaedic doctor who sent us to a neurosurgeon who doesnt want to do surgery yet. SAYS my son is to young to start down that road. Says he'll just have to live with the pain and the bulging disc, bone spurs, degenerating discs. So is there any hope that he can lead a normal life with this diagnosis?

• Posted

Hi,

This is only my personal opinion, based on my own predicament. I am considerably older than your son,69.

I had an accident in 2011 which altered my life considerably. I used to love swimming, gardening and my occupation was manually demanding.I had to give it all up and take early retirement

The main problem with c/s in my case is paralysis from the neck down. This could happen with a trip or a fall and if I do either the spinal cord, which is already impinged at several levels could be seriously compromised.

Your son being much younger and already within the care system should be fine.He only needs to monitor his actions and look out for sharp pains or dull aches in the cervical spine areas when carrying out physical activities.

Hope this helps, and it is only my opinion.

Mike.

• Posted

Mike, I'm really sorry to hear about your accident and how its effected you. Thank you for your words of advice and encouragement ! I am still in shock regarding the diagnosis for my son and so is he. We just wish we understood what caused this and what can be done to help. I will pass along your advice to him . THANKS AGAIN!

• Posted

Hi Cindy, did your son have any type of accident as an infant or toddler (even falls create a whiplash).

Doctors may state that young children/toddlers are quite resilient to overcome from slips, falls, while very

young. I have the same thing and more having to do with my cervical spine. I was diagnosed in my early

thirties however (so older than your son) but I did have a fall when I was an infant (I don't remember but

my mother informed me). Also a nasty sibling would often pick me up by my neck (feet off the ground)

several different times during my you g years (9,10,11 year old range) - he was thinking it was a great

joke! Hence In my case there were two contributing incidences w/ the latter being applied with repetition.

So I Just thought I'd run this by you in case it helps to jog your memory of perhaps something happening

to your son in his more fragile years.

Best,

Angie

• Posted

Angie, thanks so much for responding! Doctors always ask that same question, Have you been in any accidents? He was in a minor fender bender in middle school when he was about 12. Neither of us considers this to be a possible start to his condition since we dont understand how that could effect ALL of his joints hurting all the time . We could see whiplash but Cervical Spondylosis? We just dont understand how he could have this at such a young age.

• Posted

maybe silly reply as maybe been checked before but have you had youslr son checked for a vitamin B defiency? i too have cervical spondylosis, i suffer from joint pain, crippling at times, my feet ache, have tightness and pain in my Achilles and calfs, my knees ache, have hip and pelvis pain radiating down both legs, pain in my buttocks , and tighness in my rib cage and middle back and lower back, also my shoulders hurt but not as bad as other places, my elbows are allways sore and my right hand and fingers are sore. i was diagnoses with vit d defiency but took vit d for months and no change in symptoms, my mental health has suffered also my anxiety is through the roof, i had to give up my profession in construction due to my physical aches and pains. now i am doing part time until i see if i qualify for pip as i cant afford to live on basic benefits and being made to job hunt until i have a diagnosis, waiting 5 months now for rhuematologist, my GP thinks possible fibromyalgia but he cant diagnose. its a horrible condition to have CS, i am only 44 myself. i hope you find the answeres you are looking for

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.