Son had HSP when he was 4-now 9 still has Arthritis/has anyo

Posted , 3 users are following.

My son had HSP when he was 4-now 9 and still has Arthritis/has anyone else experienced this?

My son seemed to have a really bad case of HSP when he was 4. The only thing I can think happened at that time was he brought home a stray kitten that scratched him really deeply. Within two days of the kitten scratching him, he had the dots throughout his body, swollen feet, headaches and body aches. Each day he would wake up with a different swollen body part on top of his legs and feet. One ear would be swollen, the next day his lips were swollen, the next his private parts, next his eyes were swollen. His hands were always so swollen he could not feed himself. He could not walk at all and cried in pain every time I picked him up to move him. One morning he woke up with his lower back completely swollen and protruding out. I took him to the ER and they said his kidney was swollen. This all lasted about 11 weeks with weekly urine tests for his kidney. His kidney still tests fine- thank goodness.

Although, 5 years later he still complains of his legs and arms hurting. In the winter it is worse. I have to massage his legs and arms in order for him to be able get himself out of bed.

Has anyone else experienced continual Arthritis after HSP?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My daughter had bad case of HSP at age 5 spending about 3 to 4 months in hospital between age 5 and 6. She is 13 now and did struggle for the 8 years with minor symptoms off and on. Spring and Fall she would have weird problems like the joint pain and swelling - it came and went quickly. After illnesses too!

I hear there is nothing we can do about it and it is no where near as bad as it was back then so we cannot complain.

Steriods are always options but worse for your health.

Good luck

• Posted

My son had HSP when he was 5 - thankfully this only lasted 24 hours and then he had a recurrence 5 days later, which again lasted 24 hours. He was monitored for around 18 months. He is now 11 and over the last couple of years he has continually had ankle pain (worst first thing in the morning and when playing sports, running etc). This is currently being investigated but I always worry whether this could be related to HSP. :?
  • Posted

im 18 and i had HSP when i was about 5, i still get leg pain (knees & hips) on a regular basis, roughly once a week. i have to take paracetemol. im glad i have found this because i was starting to worry it was something really serious,
  • Posted

[quote:d2beb879ff=\"jessxxxxx\"]im 18 and i had HSP when i was about 5, i still get leg pain (knees & hips) on a regular basis, roughly once a week. i have to take paracetemol. im glad i have found this because i was starting to worry it was something really serious,[/quote:d2beb879ff][quote:d2beb879ff] hi there my name is lesley ann and i had HSP when i was 11yrs old (the bruising started then the vomiting thn the fatigue n then the drowziness) i cant mind much of it as im 33 now but wot i hav found out is that due to an MRI scan i now have disk degeneration in my spine... i have constant pain in my lower back as my disks have lost thier fluid and the rest of them are bulging.. i have 2 kids 18yr old craig and kayleigh whos 14 in nov.. the doc at my hosptl asked all sorts of questions bout family back troubles!! there are none? thn i looked up henoch-schonline purpura n i can see there are maybe a link between the two!! but get no answers online for this.?? i am on mega painkillers for life and muscle relaxins and sleeping pills.[/quote:d2beb879ff]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.