Son has laceration to arch of foot help!

Posted , 1 user is following.

ok so trying briefly but will end up like an essay.

my son fell on a glass jar last week which resulted in a fast a&e trip and a nasty laceration two inches long and 3/4 inch deep it was awful I've never seen so much blood from a cut. anyway they did an x-ray to make sure there was no glass left, started local injections so they could clean the area which has traumatised him as he's six. on trying to clean they had to let the orthopaedic surgeon patch him up the following day as his tendon was exposed. after an hour procedure we was told no glass! he's had dissolvable sutures and the tendon look good but missed it by millimetres he shouldn't weight bare for 4 to 6 weeks from the tissue and muscle damage, they also said it was impossible to know about nerve damage as it was far to early.

we came back five days later to have the dressing taken off when a Dr came strutting in takes one look and says "yeah he's fine he can start walking on it asap, it's healed good, stitches looked good as he had done a running stitch on the inside".

I don't think I'm blind or stupid but the surgeon that performed the job was older and of a different race. so who he thinks my son is to him is beyond me. so I asked if there was any damage. he just said he had sliced through his facial planter?? and would be fine in a week or so. I told him that my son claims the sensation in his toes are different to his other one. and he tapped his toes asking if he could feel that and as he can feel it my son said yes. but I tried to restate its the sensation that's different. but nope he brushed me off really saying don't worry he's fine.

the nurses all shot confused looks at each other and even got some crutches for my son to help him start being a bit more mobile when he was ready.

on being home this evening we've realised that yes he can wiggle his toes but he can't curl them over. the big to does slightly but the others just move forward without bending. as he's been bandaged up we haven't really seen his toes to know.

so firstly who's advice do i go on with weight bearing? he cries his heart out when he tried. if we go to fast do we do more damage? is it possible there's more damage then they think? there's no swelling to the foot and brusing is minimum to underside. is it a time thing? do nerves control any toe moving at all? thought they were more sensation. could he have nicked the tendon and it's been missed?

I'm going to gp and maybe ask for a second opinion as these two blokes at the hospital are on different pages even though there the same surgeon lol.

has anyone experienced this kind of damage to there arch, how did you feel and cope? it is hard to converse with a 6 year old on what a different sensation is, even trying to describe pins and needles. he is also withholding info because he's scared there going to hurt him again. any advice would be amazing.

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.