Son having a blood test tomorrow

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I took my son to the GP yesterday as he has been having many physical and mental problems for some time now. He has already been referred to counselling, and we have had one session so far.

I mentioned coeliac disease to the GP and he said it was worth checking. This was based on the fact that my little boy (he's 10) feels frequently unwell, has headaches and tummy aches, his poo is sometimes not quite right, and he has been getting acid reflux.

He also complains of leg pains, has poor co-ordination (as in he very often trips over a flat surface!) and his mood is very labile. I should add that his Dad left over two years ago, and things have not been easy. I have fibromyalgia and depression and his 16 year old sister has anxiety/depression. So life is not smooth. But he finds it very difficult to control his emotions and gets irritated or upset very easily.

I mentioned ataxia to the GP yesterday as I had read that there is a link to coeliac disease. But he had not heard of such a link...which I found concerning as it is on the NHS website!! Also I have read that mood can be affected.

I'm just needing some advice please? Does this sound familiar to anyone? I know the blood test will probably confirm if it is, but if it isn't I'm feeling at a bit of a loss.

Oh, and I don't know if this is in any way relevant but he had severe speech problems as a young child (and still isn't always very clear), his hand writing is terrible and he suffers really badly every winter with multiple heavy colds (so much so that we have an inhaler as often he struggles to breath). 

Many thanks.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I wonder what the results have been.  It would also be worth testing yourself and your daughter.
    • Posted

Hi Marg, results appear to be back but GP hadn't commented on them yet so he is phoning me Monday.

The more I read about Coeliac's the more symptoms I recognise in my son. I've been asked by GPs more than once if I have ever been tested for it, but as far as I'm aware they have never screened me in the various blood tests I have had. However I was talking to by 70 year old mum about it and the symptoms would make a whole load of sense for both of us! My Auntie has diverticulitis but I'm not sure if that has any connection.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.