Son isn't happy with school

Posted , 5 users are following.

so after a year of my son being neglected at school it has taken me 6 months to finally get my son into another school that is willing to cater to his needs problem is he was happy doing the half days extremely unhappy about doing full days all week he has spat at his sister hit his siblings told me he hates me and that he doesn't want to go to school and that he hate school he's tried sneaking toys into school for Comfort but they won't allow him to keep it they won't allow him to keep it with him or in school at all he keeps saying he's nervous about going in I've asked the teacher to speak to him to try and make him understand that he needs to go to school but he really isn't happy and I was just wondering is there anything I can do to help him adjust and be more happy about going in?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

So sad for you. Has your son been seen by child psychologist? Is he suffering from separation anxiety? Sneaking in toys = connection with home. Shame he wasn't allowed to keep one with him - is the school aware of his 'needs problem' and how to best help him with it?

• Posted

no he hasn't and the school are fully aware of all of his problems and put a SEN plan back in place for him but just can't get through to him about him having to go to school and he is getting very upset every morning and soon as he comes out of school he says he doesn't want to go back in in the morning and I don't no how to help him through this because of his conuacation problems

• Posted

How do you get through to him on other things?

A child psychologist might be able to help. Though you'd probably have to wait a long time for an appointment.

My grandson had separation anxiety when he was little. Some days we'd have to carry him out to the car like a stiff little board. Very tough, very upsetting. In this case, we were able to encourage L by having his best friend over to play with him as much as we could. Gradually it wore off.

I hope other Mums respond with their experiences - something that helps.

• Edited

with great difficulty there's a lot of things that he struggles to understand for example safety and eating. his understanding of situations is very limited even with keeping his room clean and putting rubbish in the bin the only thing he really understands is when you tell him he's making you sad because of the way he behaves or what he has done

• Edited

It's good that he recognises the effect he has on you. Hope it's the same when he's done something that makes you happy!

I'm a cognitive behavioural therapist, and it looks that you could do with some professional help right where you are. Are there support groups for parents of children with difficulties like your son? Can your GP refer you to a group or an agency that can give advice, or help? I'm sure you're trawling for information and advice. And I do hope that other mums respond to your post, too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.