Son now suffering toilet anxiety - I'm sure it's linked to Mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

My son has been taking Mirtazapine for about 5 years. Last November he had an episode of needing the toilet urgently whilst on the way to work. I had to turn the car around and go back home. Since then it has escalated and now it's not just needing a wee, it's needing a poo. Most of the time he is okay if he has a lift with me but cannot now get a bus or even a taxi because if this feeling comes on, he can't get to a toilet. A few months after the first episode he was suspicious himself that the Mirt might be causing it. His GP dropped him from 40mg to 30, which I now know is too large a reduction. His toilet anxiety has got worse and he says he feels anxious all the time, so he has upped his dose to 40 again. I am convinced, since reading other people's experience, that the Mirt is the cause of it all. GPs don't seem to understand how to reduce these medications. My next problem is how to approach him about this. His fear of full depression coming back is so terrifying that I think he might not even listen to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I feel it is the antidepressants so many people have so many problems with that maybe show your GP all the comments and I would reduce it really really slowly or just put them on another antidepressants I am now taking lovan which I find is awesome I hope he gets some help the poor boy I feel so sorry for him sending you all my love just keep going to the GP and demanding that it’s the Mertazapine it’s also a huge weight gain has put on weight ?

• Posted

Thanks Donna. He is reluctant to believe that this could be causing it, although did eventually say that it's worth thinking about. He is looking to organise some CBT when he gets a break from work during the Christmas holidays, so if that doesn't work then maybe he will look at his medication again. No, he hasn't had much weight gain.

• Posted

hi,. i think he needs some form of therapy to address his toilet anxiety issues. dropping and then upping the mirt won't help. I was bonkers on 30mg. i settled on 15 mg and had some CBT therapy via the mental health team and my doctor.. i live in uk and we have this here. Did the higher dose of mirt make him any calmer? if not then maybe mirt is not the right med. he needs to get things straight in his mind and medication alone wont do that.

• Posted

Hi Tempest. I think the higher dose did make him a bit calmer and he is going to look into CBT when he has some time off work at Christmas. I think he is worried that he will go back to deep depression if he tries to come off the Mirt. From what I understand, the anti-depressants don't work effectively if used long term but I'm not sure. Next job is to explore CBT and see how that goes.

• Posted

I would suggest that you find another doctor, if possible find a GP that also understands nutrition. I would also suggest you get some GABA it is an Amino Acid and unlike the so called non additive anti depressants it will not make you feel like crap and brain dead. I told a friend of mine who has not had a good sleep in 30 years, used to have a bath,take a shower at 1am ,2am then be exhausted all day. I gave her five days supply and on the first night slept for eight hours. Now a changed woman has even taken up interest in her neglected garden. Sadly with depression there is always a cause of it and prescription drugs only dull the pain. The worst thing of all is if you get on the merry go round of adding another pill, then adding on another pill. But I stress best to find the root of the cause first.

Bill

• Posted

I think you are right William. Unfortunately, most GPs just look for a quick fix to get you out of the surgery. Will look into GABA.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.