Son's Coeliac test - resuming gluten intake for the correct test result.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, my 11 yr old son is going to have a blood test for Coeliac Disease very soon.

We normally keep him off wheat/gluten but he needs to be eating wheat for the test to reveal a positive or negative.

We have four days before the blood test. Will this be enough time for him to eat wheat this week and then for the blood test to be able to reveal an effective result?

Many thanks,

Adam.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Adam, It is recommended that gluten be eaten for 6 weeks prior to testing(equivalent of 4 slices of bread per day (2 for a child). He could have a  HLA-DQ2/8 gene test.  If HLA DQ2/8 gene testing is negative coeliac disease can be safely excluded.  If it is positive, then a gastroscopy/biopsy needs to be done to check for damage to the villi in the intestine.. and gluten must be eaten for 6 weeks prior to this test.   Blood tests often come back false negative.. so it is not reliable. 

• Posted

In part, I would agree with Marg04364 in that you need to eat wheat for 6 weeks prior to the test.  Blood tests for coeliac disease are not totally reliable and you can still have a false negative result, if you have coeliac disease, the only definite way is with a biopsy. (By the way this happened to me). If I were in your shoes, I would speak to Coeliac UK. They know more about coeliac disease than many doctors - the advise doctors! Their phone number is 0333 332 2033.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.