Soon to be reduced (Hopefully!)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everyone tis I!

I am shortly to see my Doctor for a two month Cita sitrep and see how things are going. As soome of you already know I am on 40mg having started on 10mg back beginning od December. I increased by 10mg over the following months. Not without some weird stuff and generally feeling like .... (please feel free to place yer own word here that is appropriate to you!)

Replying to someones post this morn got me a wondering again, will there be side effects on the decrease? Will there be abything in particular to watch out for or be aware of as I do this?

At the moment I have started feeling slight nausea in the mornings which dissipates after breakfast - I have not actually been physically ick. Any advice or reason, please will be, asusual, reassuring.

I will of course keep y'all posted as (or when) I reduce.

Regards,

David

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi David

Glad to hear you're at that phase where you're thinking of decreasing them.  Are you looking to coming off them completely or just decrease to a much lower level for maintenance?

Anyway, when I came off mine I first decreased to the lowest I could manage (which was 10mg/day) and found I could still feel great on that dose.  Eventually stopped altogether but after a while found I needed something, so took 5HTP and l-tyrosine.

If you're decreasing from 40mg it might be best to maybe lower to 35mg or 30mg first and keep it at that for a few weeks to see how you feel.  Then progress further after that.  Slower the better smile

I had some withdrawal effects - heady, nauseau, weird little brain zaps which were ok ...... I found it easier coming off them than starting them.

Though I restarted last year, I'm back down to 5mg (10mg taken every other day) and am absolutely fine and happy still.

K x

• Posted

Thank you Kate,

It is always nice to read your posts and take the advice you offer.

It would be nice to think I could come off them completely, but I am just going to go with it and see what happens. My Doctor, also very nice and wise, has suggested we take it very slow and that I may or may not come off completely. Re 5HTP, we popped into a certain erbal type establishment (other Erbal remedy establishments are available!) and purchased two large containers in the buy one get one for a penny sale (other offers from other "whatever" are available!). So we are geared up for later in the reduction.

It is going on 7 months since I joined the forum and it feels I have been here longer (in a nice kinda way of course!) thanks, mainly, to yourself and other such lovely peeps. I would never have thought I would join such a forum and become part of a kinda "Family". I think sometimes because the pressures of the system (which in the end does not benefit us) we forget we are part of a human family. Let's face it that is the only kinda "global" system we should be involved with!

Will, as always, keep posting, reading and helping where I can.

Thanks again.

David X

• Posted

Sounds like you have a good plan then.  I'd do the same too - see what happens, see how low you can go (dose, not stoop haha), and doing so real slowly.  Don't take the 5-HTP though until you're completely off the Cit.

Though we don't want to be on this site, you're right it does seem like a big family, supporting each other :-)

Will be reading your reports as you go :-)

K x

• Posted

You're the tops! Kate.

There are a lot of us out here that are grateful for all your advice and support.

I would like to think I may one day come off Cita, buut I don't think I'll ever come off this forum. As you (other forum-ers are available) have helped me so, I want to help others.

I just wanted to take this moment to say thank you for everything so far!

Best Regards,

David & Ann X

• Posted

Thanks David :-) x

Yes, though I've been in that dark place and recovered, I only joined here when my son became ill as feel so strongly about this illness, and as I was helping my son I thought it would be good to chat too.

Hoping everyone here can find their inner peace eventually.

Best wishes to you and Ann xx

• Posted

Hi David,

i have been on cit for over 6 years now and decided to start reducing the amount I took.  I went from 20mg to 10mg, had some slight nausea feelings but that was about it.

After 3 months I then cut down to 5mg, after about 3 weeks on 5mg my anxiety came back full force and I felt worse than I had ever done, it was horrendous.  After countless visits to my doctor I'm now back up to 10mg and having  CBT,  I'm really hoping it works as I don't want to increase to 20mg.

To be honest I feel I did it all too quickly , I should have been having CBT throughout or Idealy before so as to support me coming off them, also after 6 years I should have given myself more time.

im hoping with CBT and going slow I will be ultimately able to cut down.

Good luck and take things slowly. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.