Soon to have a root canal, I'm extremely scared.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 16, and my lower front tooth has been aching for a week, and a few days ago I went to the dentist and she told me that a root canal was supposed to be done soon. She prescribed me a week's worth of antibiotics to lessen the pain/sensitivity that my gums felt. On my lower front tooth's part -- it's working, and the pain is turning into a dull ache whenever I press down on my tooth, however I've been feeling slight twinges of discomfort in other parts of my teeth/gums. I'm scared that this means I'll have to have more root canals, and I'm only a teenager. I've read articles and posts about root canals and the reactions are polarised. Some say that they're painless, some say that they're painful and have consequences in later life, such as developments of diseases. I'm afraid and anxious that this root canal can only do more harm than good, and it worries me even more than I'm experiencing added pain. My anxiety has been through the roof these past few days and I haven't been well, especially since news of my root canal. I want to know if there's anything else wrong, or if I have to be worried, or if there are possibly other alternatives to a root canal (other than tooth extraction). Feedback would be much appreciated, thank you.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

The anxiety is worse than the root canal. Once you're numbed you won't feel a thing. Everyone has a different tolerance to pain, so don't listen to anyone about their experience. You will be soooo relieved when it's all done. You will get through it just fine. Saying a little prayer for you to be calm and peaceful when you go to dentist office.
  • Posted

Awh, try not to be too worried. The discomfort elsewhere in your mouth is natural as the pain can radiate from the problem tooth. Once your tooth has been treated everything should settle down.

Your root treatment sounds necessary to prevent this continuing to be a problem both now and in the future.

I had the same treatment on one of my front lower teeth when I was 24 and I still have that tooth nearly 40 years later. It's far better have this done rather than having it extracted or continuing to experience all this pain.

Very best wishes.

• Posted

As a terribly out of date health nut (e.g., Adelle Davis, Paul C. Bragg) I still believe that a root canal leave a dead thing (the tooth is no longer alive) in your mouth.  The dead tooth supports dangerous bacterial growth that eventually damages the kidneys and other body systems.  Recently a young dentist poop pooped this theory by assuring me that the same dangerous germs were already present in the mouth.  But I just allowed him to extract the offending tooth.  I will admit that I miss the chewing surface sometimes.  Yours truly, Mr. Out of Date.
    • Posted

Oops!  leave should be leaves.  I must remember to edit my stuff before sending it.  Still Out of Date.
  • Posted

I disagree with Christophe's theory re bacteria and agree with his dentist. The root canal is filled in any case. As he admits he misses the chewing surface.

To extract a tooth when it's not essential is not a good idea. It leaves a space which allows the teeth on either side to move creating a loosening effect on the other teeth, not to mention the appearance of the loss of a front tooth.

My root filled tooth has not damaged my kidneys! It has also supported my adjacent teeth maintaining a good appearance which is important too. I'm sure all NHS dentists would agree and the millions of patients like me who have root filled teeth in our mouths.

Please don't be frightened by more extreme views which as Christophe admits can be grossly out of date.

Trust your dentist, he is highly trained, technically and scientifically. He will be completely up to date and have your best health interests at heart.

Once again, very best wishes.

• Posted

Please try not to worry Cindy, it should not be painful, and as front teeth have only one root canal that is straight, filling it is quite straightforward. I had root canal treatment on one of my molars with curved roots and it went ok.

Infection can lessen the action of anaesthetic but the antibiotics should take care of that so it should all be numb.

You might hear unusual drill sounds ( slower speed ) and smell chlorine ( all has to be kept clean) but other than that all should be well.

Some teeth might look a bit darker after being root canal treated, but mine was the same.

Good luck saving that tooth!

• Posted

Hi tin90008

Posted a reply for you but addressed to Cindy in error - sorry new to this. Hope you'll read it in the thread anyway

• Posted

Hiya im in a similar position to you now and am quite worried

how did it go?

• Posted

Hi I've had a root canal done

It's not that bad. Once your numbed up you can't feel pain.

Just a bit of tugging that's about it.

Smells a bit but that's natural ..

I'm a scaredy cat! I had it done!

Better than having it extracted that's for sure!😀👍

• Posted

Hi thanks for the reply,

im just really worried that im 16 and having a root canal done as well as previous amalgam fillings done means that in the future my teeth will be a lot worse

My anxiety is increased further as im going to be going through one of the most important phases of exams( alevels)

• Posted

Sorry about the root canal, but I have had 3 of them and I think they are over rated and are a piece of cake. I think people talk about them and have no idea what they are talking about. Relax and you will soon find that you where worried all about nothing....Mean Gene
  • Posted

Hi, I understand your situation, but don't worry. Everyone has a different resilience to pain, Once your tooth has been dealt with everything ought to settle down. In my opinion, The most advantages of root canal are it will relieve pain and discomfort and root canal is given to a tooth in lieu of a tooth extraction. 

The disadvantages of root canal are this procedure is so much more expensive and  little bit complicated. You are going to be so comforted whenever it is actually almost all completed. You will definitely get by using it perfectly.

• Posted

I'm only 11 this year and I've already had an root canal done. I was feeling exactly like how you felt knowing the fact that this has to be done, I couldn't sleep at night and was just always thinking about it. I had really intense pain from the week leading up to the root canal but I really couldn't feel a thing when the dentist are doing it and soon after that I was just so happy and relieved, there are no more pain at all. Whenever you've felt pain and are sure that there are decay you should go see a dentist as soon as possible because it's totally worth it to get it treated early and I have really learned my lesson for waiting a year after experiencing pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.