Soooo many tablets but don't know when to take, help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys

Right I sound like a medicine cupboard and I really wanted someone's advice.

I am on the pill which I take as soon as I wake up bout half 7 then I get ready for work etc.

I also need to take 300mcg of levothyroxine and 25mg of escitrolpram and just before bed I need to take tramadol to help with back pain while I'm

Asleep. I heard that levo can not be taken with food etc but I usually have my brekkie around half 9.

I'm starting to think should I take the levo after my dinner of an evening but how long do I have to wait as I need to stick with tramadol before bed.

Any advice would be appreciated. I need to

Continue taking my pill in the morning and tramadol at night but how can I fit the other 2 things in so that it still works. Thanks in advance

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

From my personal experience - taking levothyroxine before bed made it difficult for me to sleep but I know lots of others have fewer hypo symptoms by taking it at night. I currently take my contraceptive and levothyroxine an hour before breakfast first thing in the morning. I know levothyroxine reacts with certain vitamins and supplements but I am unsure of the effects with tramadol- probably best to space it out if you can but maybe worth checking with Gp or pharmacist?
    • Posted

So as far as ur aware it doesn't affect the contraceptive pill then ?? X
  • Posted

What is it that you take as soon as you get up in morning
    • Posted

I'm sorry now I see....... I'm a little slow sometimes
    • Posted

We're all a bit slow sometimes - it's a symptom of having an under active thyroid! As are cognitive and processing problems! Don't worry about it, everyone on the hypothyroidism forum will understand. We've all been there and no doubt will be again next time our levels change.
  • Posted

Does your pill contain oestrogen? If so it might be better to take this at a different time to levo, as oestrogen increases levels of thyroxine binding globulin circulating in the blood, which means there is less thyroxine available for your body to use. It says on my levo leaflet to discuss with your doctor if you're taking the contraceptive pill as well. Mine suggested I get the injection instead as it's just progesterone
    • Posted

Yep, as alice says, do not take oestrogen with thyroid meds. they actually USE the thyroxine binding globulin (TBG),  they do not increase it, -  that would be  great. If the oestrogen is using the TBGs there is not much left over for the thyroxine meds - and hence you will go back to being Hypo. The same goes for statins and a host of other meds.
    • Posted

Hi Alice,

My pill is the progesterone only pill. It says it contains no oestrogen x

• Posted

Thanks for clearing that up, I did think the explanation I read didn't sound quite right!
    • Posted

Just a thought for those people who are on a pill containing oestrogen, as kelli says there are progesterone only pills available. Another option is the Mirena coil - which also often has the benefit of making heavy, painful periodsn pain-free and lighter (if not stopped altogether).
  • Posted

Hi Kelli, I take my levo in the middle of the night when I get up to go for a pee. I can be sure my stomach is empty and it doesn't have any negative effects on my sleep patterns.
    • Posted

What a good idea!

However it's worth noting that that when I took NDT in the evening before going to bed I was so wired I couldn't sleep, presumably due to the T3 in it.

• Posted

Hello Kelli:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

I take my thyroid med at night just before bed.  I use to take it in the early morning but I had other meds to take also.

As long as you take it at the same time each night and all it can be taken at night and no food.

Tramadol can be taken also with it - they do not interact.

Try it and see, we are all different and some of us can take it at night.  I have no problem sleeping....LOL.  If you do you can take it late afternoon or early evening.  Do what works for you!

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.