Soothing Emergency first aide soothe bag

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm in outpatient treatment..usually it is the same ole' bla, bla, bla...which we know but can't change by ourselves!  

Anyway, I DiD find something in my "class" yesterday to be useful.  I tend to get very "gay" when sober and I TRY to change...because if nothing changes, nothing changes (AA saying).

The suggestion was to make a first aide kit or a "soothe" bag.

So I'm going to buy a 5 dollar bag at my dollar store....they have pretty ones here....just a plain like (lunch tote bag).

In the bag I am going to put items that soothe me (as suggested) when I am STRESSED to the max.

Things like - a coloring book, a medallion with a butterfly on it that a friend gave to me.  A CD of Ekhart Toole, maybe some magazine clipping of inspirational sayings...etc...I'm sure the bag will grow from a 6x6 to a BACK PACK...cause I need LOTS of soothing.  Hope this is an idea some others can use smile.

The key to this concept is DISTRACTION...when I feel stressed if I have the bag to dig into it and DISTRACT myself.  

I was given many sites to visit for Funny Videos, Online drawing and Painting, Feel Good Videos....if anyone wants a listing of any of these sites PM me...as I can't list them here....2 of the sites are UK sites which I found interesting and thought of you guys.

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi my misssy! Not got the soothing bag ready yet. Not really had chance, but I will. I do know that..Eckhart Toole( never ever finished the book!) will be in there. And my books, trashy novels that get me through the night when I don't sleep! Coronation st, and I player stuff I need to catch up on. Chocolate, Coke( not Pepsi !) ecigs, meditation and EFT( my intention is to make it part of my daily life. Lol..never happened before but I keep trying!! And the gym. Maybe one day I may reach my goal!

So today I did my 1 goal a day..managed to take 16 year old son to work and cleaned the loo!! Thanks misssy it all helps xx 

• Posted

So awesome you got your son to work!  So glad you sound hopeful smile xo
    • Posted

Aww thanks. Well my loo is now broken( I dare not go into details) I need a Plummer. My sink has been been blocked for weeks. I accidently left American fridge freezer open last night and so can't get ice. I need help to sort these DIY things out. This is my problem, the only man in my life now is dad( he doesn't do diy man stuff and he's 81!). And my son 16 but husband was rubbish, best not to go there x
    • Posted

I just want a male friend that isn't expecting anything more. Think you know what I mean. ? X
    • Posted

My husband's good at mending loos etc. and general repairs and DIY?

Shall I post him to you?

• Posted

And I think you DO need a mail friend.....it would be a good distraction.  Just pick one that doesn't drink or do dry substances either!  My current b/f is good at fixing stuff....my first husband was....but I had a middle boyfriend that couldn't do anything and it frustrated me and made me think of him of less of a man.  

Of course men that can't fix things are NOT less of a man...(because my Dad doesn't do much and never has as far as fixing, he hires people)...but he does do all the housework for my Mother who is ill.

But for me...a character that is able to fix things is a plus....its not that I am using them...its just (for me) I think guys do certain things...and girls do certain things and if I'm with a guy who doesn't do the certain things I think he should be doing...its a turn off for me.

• Posted

Ha ha Tess!!! Re sending your hub. It would be a very expensive plumming bill as you live about 3 hour drive from me! !! Great to hear about your success in stopping smoking..fab xx
    • Posted

Agree misssy. If I ever get into a relationship again, he needs to be good at DIY or be rich enough to hire someone..lol !!! Must like dogs too!!!
  • Posted

I have a chill out bag, I was advised to do it whilst in a secure unit.

In mine I have a photo album. A colouring book and pens. ( it's quite funny looking through the completed pictures, very obvious to see the drunken ones and the shaky hands ones. Ironically at the time I thought they were great and was talking about framing them! ) lavender oil. A squishy stress ball. Some hand cream and a nail file.

• Posted

Hi....My current bag can only fit my pencils, crayons and coloring book stuff.....so now I need a smaller bag....what I want to put in it is maybe my 8 years of medallions that are on a key chain from being sober 8 years.  

A butterfly medallion given to me by a close friend in AA.

A couple CDs

Something that smells good....don't know what yet....

I love the stuff you have in your bag.  I never heard of the "bag" before I was rather surprised since I've been to about 6 outpatient facilities. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.