Sore!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi ladies, anyone else sore - intimately?  I'm 55, 3 years without a period and I'm feeling red raw.  I did a canestan pessary just in case but it has not helped. Any ideas or simple remedies appreciated?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am too. I'm still having periods but definitely in peri due to all the other horrible symptoms I'm experiencing. I've not got any remedies (sorry) but at some point, when I get a minute, I'm going to see my doctor. Intimacy is just so painful, especially afterwards. I hurt inside (my womb feels like it's contracting) and like you I am red raw, sore and itchy. It's something to do with a drop in oestrogen I think but I am going to clarify with the doctor. I'll let you know, when I eventually get an appointment x
  • Posted

Thank you Donna I have mentioned it to the doc but she just said try sudocrem or similar.  I've tried Drapoline (it's nappy rash cream!) as that has always been good over the years for any temporary soreness and that helps a bit but this seems different.  I hope you get somewhere with your doc.
    • Posted

In all honesty I don't think either of those would help you. It sounds like lubricant would be better, (sold in supermarkets, boots, etc - if ur in the UK) I've done a bit of reading up on it and there's other products available that may help but I'm not sure we're allowed to advertise them on here. Have a little Google and see what it comes up with. Good luck x
    • Posted

Aqueous cream.  Not at all expensive, not sticky like sudocrem and available at all pharmacies. 
  • Posted

Hi there, you need a hormone pessary or cream. It's due to lack of estrogen. I had the same but it has gone since using a low estrogen pessary, needs to be prescribed by a doctor. Unfortunately no amount of lubricant had any effect on me. I have to say the relief is amazing.

All the best

• Posted

At 62 I've tried many different lubricants for soreness & the ones I now recommend can be bought over the counter at chemists.   In the first instance, follow up the pessary with Clotrimazole cream to your outer "reachable" parts as it can take a few days for the sore areas to regenerate after treatment.  You may also need to see your GP nurse for swab testing in case another germ is making things worse.   Decreased oestrogen levels after menopause result in lack of vulvo-vaginal stretchiness & increased soreness on intercourse.   I'll list the "over-the-counter" brand names I have found really helpful:  Sylk, Canesintima & Sensilube by Reckitt Benkiser Healthcare.  The water-based lubricants (KY etc) weren't good enough for me.  Hopefully these names won't be edited out, as I know from my role as a nurse that so many of us need all the help we can get in this area! 
  • Posted

Thank you all so much for your comments.

I don't feel that I am dry, things seem moist enough but I will certainly look into the OTC lubricants you suggest Katie. Just made an apt at the doc too! 

Sounds like I am not suffering alone though! 

• Posted

google vaginal  dryness creams  and lots of anternative creams come up, this is what i did, try another one that may help with your pessary.,,,,,,,,,,,,,good luck!
  • Posted

I have been doing some surfing - has anyone tried coconut oil for this?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.