Sore achy breast

Posted , 3 users are following.

Lots of the posts have been reassuring but every time I get an episode of mastalgia I begin to worry all over again. My doc says pain is a good thing, better than a lump but I still worry.

I would like to know how long your breast pain lasts and if you have found anything other than evening primrose that helps.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

I was wondering if you advise me on what mastalgia actually is. I am 34 and have been suffering with sore breasts since as long as i can remember. I went to my GP who checked for infection but advised me all is ok and its 'just one of those things'.......Thing is i am so so unhappy with the pain, i cant cuddle my kids/partner, dread taking my bra off at night....sometimes sleep in it(not sure if i should be doing this)...I recently switched from Depo injection to pill but still the pain is there 24/7 i am so miserable about it. They are swollen/heavy and unbearable to touch at anytime of day or night........it does not seem right does it? :oops: :arrow:

• Posted

Mastalgia is correct term for breast pain as far as I can tell, I was given this word several years ago as an explanation for what was occurring to me. It can be related to the menstrual cycle or not, although my breasts do seem to become worse near my period, the pain is there most of the time. My doc has told me pain is better than a lump and is less likely to be cancer but I still worry about this a lot because why would something hurt but have no real explanation? I find it very debilitating just like you as it hurts to cuddle my children/partner and I feel discomfort most of the time which is therefore ticking around in my worrying brain! I just wish someone could come up with something to help as evening primrose oil does not really seem to do anything for me. Keep me posted, all the best.
  • Posted

This is my second go because I pressed Enter and lost it all!

I know this thread is from 2009 but I thought I would answer it in case someone else is wondering how to cure their sore breasts. About ten or more years ago I had VERY sore breasts, all the time, not just when a period was due because I had had a hysterectomy several years before but still had my ovaries. My breasts were so uncomfortable that I couldn't go without a bra so wore one 24 hours a day. It hurt to put my arms by my sides and it felt as if I had weights attached to each breast.

I went to see a consultant because I had found a lump in my left breast and he stuck a needle in it and lots of horrible stuff came out. He said this was a good thing because it was just a cyst whereas if nothing comes out that's more worrying. I told him about my very sore breasts and he told me to take Evening Primrose Oil capsules. The active ingredient in the capsules is LINOLENIC ACID. There is a specific dose to take. Even if the EPO capsules say 1000mg of EPO, it's the linolenic acid that is important. You need to take 240mg of it a day. I bought some One-A-Day capsules from a supermarket and each capsule contained 80mg of the acid and I took three a day to make it up to 240mg because the information said you could take three a day if needed. The consultant told me that you have to take the EPO capsules for at least four months, to flood your body with the linolenic acid. I did this and just after the four months was up my soreness had completely gone! It was a miracle as far as I was concerned as I just didn't know how I could cure it but I'm so glad I took the consultant's advice.

• Posted

Sorry, forgot to say that the linolenic acid is GAMMA LINOLENIC ACID, apparently there's also Linolenic acid in primrose oil capsules, so look out for GLA in the ingredients.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.