Sore and tired eyes

Posted , 7 users are following.

Losing my lovely retriever has taken all my energy which you would expect. Up to that time I had got back walking her which was going very well. However I am sure the grief will go. What I am left with is sore and tired eyes, any ideas how to treat this. I have had a lot of other problems which have mostly gone.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Strangely my eyes are very sore and stinging today, though did have late night, but its happened before, often when feeling at my worst, along with thirst. lve also still got the weird skin, never had before, as if scaly and rubs off. l,m sure your loss of your  retriever and sadness over it will aggrevate your symptoms.  It also said on  forecast the pollen was very high, that can also cause sore eyes, although mine have been worse along with worst of cfs symptoms than in the past, when l just used eye drops and anti histamines, not helping much presently. l think Georgia also has probs and reccomends witch hazel, Hope you feell better soon, over your loss and  rest.  . 
    • Posted

Lol Lynne, I just recommended Witch Hazel and then read what you said. Spooky, you must be psychic or a prophetcheesygrin

• Posted

Hi Georgia, how are you, hope not too  bad, l think l am a bit phycic, but cant do it to order, so cant benafit by it in any way. couldnt pick a l0pound lottery win to save my life, or at a local tombola. more,s the pity, But l do recall you telling me about witch hazel, my eyes have been sore today also, along with being shattered, some times l think its getting worse, that tired l,m dropping off to sleep a few times a day,but maybe just bad days, think the pollen is very high probably adds to it. l see rheumy on wed, be an ordeal getting there, then finding it, a drag, but needs must, he,s a sultan, lol, or a mr Sultan.  Just started raining in the last couple of hours, stilll warm,  The media is a pain, bored with listening to eu negs now, replacing refugees negs, or war terrorist and war negs, like a dog with a bone, chew it to death. Now silly so and so,s petitioning for another ref, theyll be marching and rioting next, whether xf through to eu,  democracy is not good enough for them, try to force insult and bully for their choices. Be glad when olympics start, might preoccupy them,   l,ll have to stop watching the news channels, just a wind up. Maybe they shoiuld all get cfs for a few months, then theyd have something to moan about, and l know l,m moaning in response, just to be able to walk for a mile in the countryside, go off abroad on  a holiday, be heaven. l know youve even more restrictions, and cope well with it, lets know how your doing, and scuse my maoning, bad day, just got a big toblerone, and some jelly babies, cheer me up a bit,andd tomorrows another day, Hope the sun shines a bit, well take care lynne

• Posted

Hi Lynne, I'm not too bad today, which is great because I had several worse days, maybe because I've been too hot. I got this beanie that holds in water for hours and it evaporates on your head, cooling it down. It's great! I got it for my brain inflammation and I'm sure it's helping because it makes my brain feel more alert.

I've been taking Q10, NADH and D-Ribose and I think they're doing me good. I don't mind shelling out a bit when it's things that other people with ME say helps them.

I read somewhere that postal votes swung it for getting out; us disabled can be a fed up lot can't we. Lol

Hope you're enjoying your toblerone and jelly babies (Lol haven't heard of them for years!). My guilty treat now and then is Magnums! Drool.

Would you mind breaking your text up when it's quite long because it's easier to read.

You take care too. razz

• Posted

Glad to hear your not feeling too bad, and found something to help, it has been warm and humid, but seems to have got a bit colder today, started ok but grey and rainy now, guess its starting for Wimbledon. l think most of us would pay whatever within our means or beyond them to find something that really improved our lot. My eyes bit quite as bad today, though fatigue still bad, mornings omg such a battle to function, just standing up to start with and moving.  

Well we certainly do get fed up at times due to symptoms and restrictions, but you get that with the healthy and fit, and at least were not abusers and haters which is increasing in poltiical and daily life. l never felt very strongly about in or out, there were things l agree,d with and disagreed with from both, and didnt think either would be a great solution,  

What l dislike , adn think its same for many older people, is the increasing insults abuse  hate and bullying  for anyone who disagrees with their opinions, along with the constant petitions, marches,  to me its like an agenda to create division and hate, to undermine uk. England particularly, talking it down continuously, media buy into it and stir it up further, it wont matter who pm is, or what party, theyll turn them into hate figures. For some its more about them bringing the uk system of democracy down, but  for all its failings we do at least have a democracy,so  for me personally its important about defending uk democracy, and country, whether thats served best in or out, time will tell, be a problem whichever, adn the post mortem goes on, guess l,ll be giivng question time a miss tonight. Might even watch footie as  pref.

Have l broke it up ok, lol, its not the first time lve been asked that.  l,m trying to train myself lol. When l used to write letters  before net, my son would look in astonishment, his comment `17 pages back and front` a homerism, his letters 3 lines. Feeling sleepy again, ridiculous, take care lynne  

• Posted

One day last week I went to sleep 5 times! And I'd had a good night's sleep the night before; ridiculous is right!

I do sign petitions for causes that I think are worthy and not getting enough attention. I don't think they're meant to undermine anyone else.

That's much easier to read and reply to. It's very hard to read a large block through again and see what to reply to. And I lose my place in texts and strain my eyes reading them so it's good to do them regulary throughout the text. This length of paragraph is about the longest I'd write.

• Posted

l,m the same, even  when l see to get a decent sleep at night l can just drop off by sitting back on sofa.

lve nothing against petitions generally, l sign loads, they send them to me in mass on mbs, mostly animal ones, re preventing cruelty, and abuse.  l think some petitions are an agenda and about destructiveness to individuals and the country, to continuously challenge petition protest riot at times, against democratic majority choice l think is erroding democracy. just my opinion, but time will tell, what the future brings. Maybe growing up in different times,  when people respected others and majority vote, didnt resort to abuse when they didnt win, as at g.e.,s 

Another eg, and l wasnt a fan of Thatcher but the abuse at her  funeral, same on news mbs if you disagree you get vile abuse, its not the England l grew up in, Feel as if l,m on the wrong planet now, just  an old fashioned traditionalist l guess, who loves England and doesnt like what its turning into.  But l,ll say no more.

l,m trying to be succinct and do more spacing, l notice myself my grammar is getting worse, l keep missing letters off end of words, maybe tiredness,   Well going for a drink and an early night see what tomorrow brings, hope its a good one for you also. Take care lynne

• Posted

I find that when I'm extra exhausted I make typos etc.

I agree that there isn't as much respect for others these days.

Thanks, I appreciate the spacing! I hope you have a good day tomorrow. I call them better days usually, rather than good days. It's like a Social Welfare Officer who was filling in my PIP form asked if my 'good days' are as good as well people's days and I said 'No never!'

I just think better days sums it up more accurately; better for me but wouldn't be considered good by the majority of people. Nit picking maybe. Lol

• Posted

Witch Hazel water is very good at refreshing tired, stinging or sore eyes. I dab it on them when my eyes sting looking at the computer. And I drink Eye Bright herbal tea to look after my eyes.
  • Posted

I went through a phase of having sore eyes, and I found that "soothing"eye drops made them sting even more. My doctor gave me viscotears, which is like a gel, and that helped. I also find that keeping eye drops in the fridge helps, because then they are cool on the eyes.

• Posted

Eye drops for dry eyes - i find they really help as that's something I still suffer with. Hope you're doing better X

• Posted

Hi, I'm coping a bit better with losing my dog now so it will get easier in time. They are such a huge loss though. You could try getting a pedometer to give you a goal to start your walking again. I did this and found it gives you an incentive to get out the house if you can see how many steps you've done rather than walking about with no purpose as it feels when you no longer have a dog to walk. You could have dry eyes which I suffer from. I got drops for this last year and everything seemed to be making it worse but my optician realised I was allergic to the preservatives in the eye drops and I now have a preservative free eye ointment which has made a huge difference. You can also try putting warm face cloth over your eyes or buy a special eye mask you heat up which encourages the oil to flow more freely from you tear ducts. Just concentrate on all the happy memories you have of your dog as no-one can ever take these away from you.

• Posted

Thanks Elaine, I am not coping very well at the moment after losing Penny. The whole episode was awful. All I seem to do is to think I could have done more to save her. Should I have taken her to the vet earlier, should I have been more gentle when I put her in the car. The only consolation is she had a good life and was loved 24 hrs a day. Now do we have another one, to early at the moment as all you would be trying to do is replace Penny. That would be impossible. My exercise is trying get the garden back into some sort of shape. 1 to 2 hrs a day.

Thanks again

• Posted

I understand how you feel. Mine collapsed at side of house then got up and made it back to the house but collapsed again. At first I thought his back had gone into a spasm or he'd had a fit (both of which had happened before) so let him lie a while to see if he picked up but then his breathing started to get more shallow and I phoned the vet who said he couldn't come out to house until 6 (this was about 2.30) or told me to take him up. I was on my own with no means of moving him and didn't think he could be moved anyway. Wasted time I could have spent comforting him phoning people and going to neighbours house to try and get help. He got a lot worse and phoned vet again who said he'd sent a vet nurse but by the time she got here he had died. Was absolutely awful and vet never even apologised for not coming to help. My normal vet phoned a couple of days later and said she thought it was a stroke or heart failure and there would have been nothing they could have done for him but I'll never know now. I know we wouldn't have had him much longer anyway due to very bad arthritis but I wanted him to go peacefully. Felt so guilty for not sitting comforting him all the time but my neighbour said if I'd just fine that I would have felt I'd done nothing to help him which is true. Was haunted by my last memory of him for a couple of weeks but I did my best to try and help him as you definitely would have done with Penny so don't blame yourself. It was just their time to go and they both had really happy lives. I've found myself looking at retriever puppies for sale but know it's too soon to get another one as like you said all I would be doing is trying to replace my last one and don't really feel I would bond with another dog just now. Time is a great healer so they say.

• Posted

I followed the same path as you did, felt absolutely useless. I wish you could talk to my wife she is dead against another puppy. I havn't given up I don't want a rescue as I want to train my dog my way not take on someone else's problem. You are right time will heal, how long it will take who knows. Interesting you are talking of another retriever there is no other bread for me.

Perhaps we can share the grief

• Posted

I filled in an application form for a failed guide dog from guide dogs for the blind. At lot of them can be nice dogs if you don't want a puppy. Could get retriever, lab or retriever/lab cross. A neighbour used to have a retriever that was a failed guide dog - it failed because it was scared of buckets but was a lovely dog although any dog you get would have either behavioural or health issues and you might have to wait ages to get one. Someone is selling a 9 month old retriever on gumtree just now but I think it probably has behavioural problems. The advantage of a puppy is you can train it properly from the start so hopefully it wouldn't have many issues although they are a lot of work. I thought I'd probably get a smaller dog next time but to me it would never be as nice as a retriever. Am thinking of maybe getting a bitch next time so I wouldn't compare it so much to my last one. It's nearly a month now since I lost Brodie but not getting much easier. The house is too empty. Not tied by a dog now and could do other things but don't really want to. Think the only thing that will help is to get another one. A few people I've spoken to have got another one after about 4 months but you can't put a time limit on it. If you are meant to have one you will see the right dog at the right time. I got a little notebook and wrote down some memories of mine last night so I won't forget all the silly little things he used to do. It's a pity they never met when they were both here as I bet they would have got on really well together. Would be nice to think they were playing together in a doggie heaven! 

• Posted

Thanks Elaine I saw the guide dog rejects but again I would still like to train my own. Another breed doesn't appeal. Must leave it for now. Hope you get your puppy. Out late last night, suffering today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.