Sore Ankle.. off/on for years.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Around three years ago I sprained my ankle playing basketball. Not the first time I sprained my ankle so I did the typical rest, elevation of the ankle, crouches for a few while until I felt the ankle was well enough for me to walk on. About a month after I sprained it I began to do a little bit of exercise but I noticed I still had pain when putting pressure on my ankle. I rested some more and eventually my ankle would plateau at having no pain when walking or doing routine movements but if I let my ankle sit for a while (I.E. sitting down for more than an hour or after getting up from slee) it would inflame around the anterior aspect and I would have trouble planting it for a few minutes until it warmed up and I could walk normal.

Today that is still the problem I am having. I'm a very active person in sports/exercise and persistently my ankle doesnt allow me to run because of the pain in planting it.Sometimes I play basketball/football or do circuit training without feeling a thing.. and some days I can't even jog 20yds without having to pull up because of the irritation. 

Like I said earlier, this has been the steady battle for at least two years now and nothing seems to change better or worse. I thought about wearing an ankle brace but now sure how its actually going to heal the ailment.I'm also not sure if this is ligament or bone related.I'm 34 with no history of serious injuries and I'm in good shape.  What should I do to get my ankle better or just so that it isn't constantly inflammed when trying to be active after bouts of inactivity?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Go to a doctor. And orthopedist. You should have done that in the beginning, and you definitely shouldn't have let an injury go on this long. You probably would've been well healed by now if you hadn't waited!

• Posted

You need a MRI. Stop sports. No exercise, No more basketball, No running, … three years is long enough… Go to Orthopedic and Get MRI and ligaments checked…
  • Posted

Oh, mate. Welcome to the club. Do nothing now, and in 15-20 years you'll be on crutches, in and out of hospital, in great pain and quite immobile. How common your story is ---ankle sprain, ligament damage, relaxation, cartilidge wear, arthritis, ....you'll be reading this in 20 years thinking "yep...he was right".

Go and see your GP NOW. Get a referral to see an orthopedist. Do it today, because you WILL regret not doing it

• Posted

Same thing within 7 years I've rolled my ankle twice, on and off pain for years. It's not until I developed planter fasccitis did I go to a podiatrist. Had an MRI done and now I have to have surgery to repair torn ligaments, a torn tendon, have scar tissue removed. I'm 31, so all I can say is go now and make sure you take care of it before further damage is done. If all is well it'll at least give you peace of mind.

• Posted

Agree with the others, to get it checked out and I would refrain from exercise until the doctor oks it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.