Sore, dry mouth due to Oxygen and nebulisers

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello every one, does any one have any suggestions for my husbands very sore and dry mouth, probably due to Oxygen and nebulisers. We have tried all the usual stuff and mouth washes, ordered a cream from Amazon and had a spray from GP, nothing seems to help and is making life even more uncomfortable and distressing for him. He is end stage COPD, thank you all in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan, sorry to hear how your husband is suffering. My mother had a very dry, sore mouth (not through copd) she tried over the counter remedies to no avail. Finally she was prescribed NYSTAN by Bristol-Myers-Squibb pharmaceuticals Ltd. It was a very small dose of 1ml 4 times a day and it gave her relief. I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Many thanks for your reply, I will get on to it . Pleased it helped your Mom.
  • Posted

Hi, is the oxygen humidified? If not you'll never win regardless of how many creams and sprays you try
    • Posted

Hi Mark, yes as far as I am aware, my husbands oxygen is humidified. Thanks for your response.
    • Posted

ah good. Would be worth double checking it's working/been used right as that will transform things if not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.