Sore eyes on mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone else suffered with  sore eyes on mirtazapine? Currently tapering off and have had sore eyes on and off  whilst on this med but they're really bad today! Just want to

Keep my eyes shut. Has anyone else experienced this? 

Tha ks

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dee, I am currently going cold turkey ( foolish mistake but now 16 days down the road) I feel like I want to keep my eyes shut all the time! Have tried to find out why but can’t. Also feeling completely exhausted, no energy at all. Am keeping my fingers crossed that the side effects soon go.

Good luck

• Posted

Poor you! I have suffered with lack of energy/ tiredness/ sore eyes on and off for periods ever since taking this medication. Unsure why it's inconsistent, but grateful for the good days! It's something to do with the histamine receptors I think... 

Reassuring to know that others are experiencing too (although not nice for you!) in currently on 3.75mg and still tapering....! Let me know how you get on will you? 

• Posted

Yes, I've had sore eyes coming off, and I think it can be a side effect on as well.  Receptors are affected coming and going.  I was at the eye doctor just the other day.  I'd call it "dry eye" where I keep blinking trying to get comfort.  I already take omega fatty acids but the doc said that is something to do.  Also, the quality of the lubricant coming from your eye lids can change and get less lubricating, and the omega fatty acids help with that.  He said to put a warm compress over the lids for a bit and then massage downward on the upper lid, upward on the lower lid, essentially milking the oils from the glands.  Funny he didn't mention to get lubricating drops, which I've used in the past to no benefit.  

• Posted

Hi I take omega too

But doesn't seem to help. I've suffered with these sore eyes ever since taking mirt but it comes and goes.

It's just been really bad recently now that I'm on 3.75mg! Horrid isn't it? What dose are you on?  I'm the same, the drops didn't help me either!

• Posted

Hi Dee,

YES 100%

I started around two weeks ago on 30mg per night before sleep...it was far too high for me, the next day I was so groggy!

Now I have been on 15mg before bedtime for around ten days and the main horrible thing I don't like about this drug is DEHYDRATION! ...not the kind you notice as normal dehydration, but just a feeling of being very dried out.

My nostrils are always dried out, my nose is stuffy... and my eyes are always sore.  They feel strained and burning sometimes.  Not a nice sensation, so I hope this will subside after a week or so.

Dry sore strained feeling in eyes with Mirtazapine?  Yes, very very much so.  I need to see my ophthalmologist and get an eye test....need to see my eye guy, you know... check my eye balls and stuff smile

• Posted

hi dee, did your eyes improve once you lowered/stopped mirtazapine? ive had sore dry eyes since i started this drug. i wasnt sure if it was def to blame as ive had it before years ago without any problems!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.