Sore feet after ankels were sprained/fractures

Posted , 5 users are following.

About six months ago I sprained my right ankle and fractured the tibia in the left ankle.

Why do my feet now get sore when I walk/stand a lot? It were my ankles that got hurt, but now I struggle with sore feet?

Any insights?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you had an mri Susan, I had sprained my ankle and it didn't get better, after 5.5 months I had an mri's which revealed three fracture, the 2nd, 5th metatarsal that were healed and an avulsion fracture to the fibula that didn't heal, torn atfl and CFL and flake of bone, now 7 months in I am in a cast, I had went to a&e three times and told it was sprained as nothing was showing up on xray

• Posted

I agree with Sabrina. You need an mri. Not least to check if the fracture is healing properly too.

Good luck!

• Posted

Both my feet are getting sore. It is that feeling after a long day waitressing.

If it was only one foot, I wouldve considered an mri, but not both.

• Posted

You need an MRI. I am speaking from experience of so called 'spraining my ankle'. You need to get it sorted out as soon as possible and not leave it. I have a problem with one foot which was not sorted out properly. It is now impacting my whole body.

Sort out an MRI, do not rest until you get to the bottom of it, and get physio. This is your body, this is your future.

• Posted

You need MRI ASAP based on the symptoms, But Do not panic and do not hurry after having the MRI. Have MRI just to know what’s going on there, but even if there was any problem, just by wearing boots you may continue everything you are doing now. Do not panic at all,
  • Posted

Hi Susan

In one foot you have 26 separate bones, 33 joints, and more than 100 muscles and tendons...in just one foot...and you have two feet.

The only body part that has more bones than the foot is the hand which had 27 bones.

So 26x2 + 27x2 is 106 bones...and you only have 207 bones in your entire body.

My point is, your feet have so many bits and bobs that something is not working properly.

Xrays are good, but an MRI is better.

You may have had a hidden fracture, you may just need a good orthotic in your shoes....either way, you need a solution.

So make an appointment with your physician, put gel insoles in each shoe to absorb the impact of walking, elevate your feet above your heart and ice them to bring the inflammation down, consider support hose that go to the knee. The hose will hold the swelling down which in turn will reduce the pain and make it easier to work.

I prefer the gel packs you can purchase from a pharmacist without a prescription...get four small ones so that while you have one on each foot, you will have the other two in the freezer. Some gel packs can be frozen or heated up in the microwave.

One other thought...discuss with your physician taking an NSAID, non steroidal anti inflammatory drug, on a regular basis for a few months. In the USA we do not need a prescription to purchase these. Do not take an NSAID and aspirin concurrently. You might also discuss taking acetaminophen 500 mg for pain dosed no closer than 6 hours.

No body can feel good when their feet are killing them! just saying

kind regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.