Sore Head

Posted , 6 users are following.

I hope some of you ladies can relate to me here. I went for my hair colouring/cutting, etc, today and my head was agony. I've not banged or knocked it but if I didn't know any better, I'd swear my scalp was covered in bruises. As soon as my hairdresser started dividing my hair, I could have screamed and when she washed it after the colouring, I literally had to grit my teeth.

It doesn't hurt ordinarily, but if you rub it or try to massage, it's painful. I think I've had this before but never felt it this bad, although I think it was the hairdresser having to manipulate my scalp. I can brush it okay. It is bizarre and is worrying me. My scalp has changed such a lot recently. It's itched like mad when the colder weather set in at the end of last year, (I do get this to a degree though, apparently some people's skin acts as a barometer, even before the cold temperatures hit.

Fingers crossed, I've had no headaches..just this strange bruised like feeling. I can't gauge my periods so don't know if it's connected to PMS symptoms or not. Has anyone else had something similar?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi BugglyBot my scalp has been sore when I brush it I want to colour my hair my self but last time I bid it my scalp was very sore and swollen for about a week not sure to do it again ,I think mine is to do with that time of the month

Hope you feel better soon

Take care

Paula

• Posted

Thanks Paula. I've just panicked as I have a little bit of a headache, fingers crossed it's nothing but me getting all worked up. I know how you feel. I had no idea it was so sore until my hairdresser started to part it on top. It's the top part of my head, the sides are fine. I don't know whether migraines sometimes happen this way as I don't suffer from them myself. It juist feels so tender and bruised, but it isn't, if that makes sense.

My PMS symptoms are erratic that I'm now having to ask you ladies if you've experienced anything similar. Luckily I have highlights so the colouring wasn't on my scalp, otherwise I think I'd have had to leave it for fear it would make me worse. I hope you can sort something out, it's horrible when things like that happen and you daren't try it again. You take care too, I know how you feel x.

• Posted

Hi, 3bugglybot

Yes my dear, I noticed the same thing. But especially when I put my hair in a pony tail, and bun. I have very thick hair, and thought maybe I needed to have it thinned out a bit. I just had no idea that pri menopause was so harsh in so many different ways. Now I just try not wear my hair in a bun or ponytail much anymore. I hope this helps you feel not alone with this. I wish you well.

• Posted

I have thick hair too and did wonder if the weight of it was the problem. Honestly, if it wasn't for you ladies here, I'd be screaming I think. I had long hair but now have an inverted bob. I'm glad too because I think a ponytail would make me head so sore. And yes, I don't feel so alone Julie, thank you and all the best to you too.
  • Posted

Sensitive scalp/headache  Ive had that. Never thought of a connection thats interesting. I used to make little ponytails and tie the little hairband tights and the pulling felt good and alleviated the pain. Dr. Oz once talked about that on tv. 

• Posted

It's bizarre because I feel very bruised but moving my hair doesn't hurt. Given how weird some of the peri symptoms are, I came here to ask. It's a relief to know that some of you know what I'm talking about. I think I should watch some of Dr Oz, thank you Lisa.
  • Posted

Hi BugglyBot,

Yes I used to get it a lot while in peri. Also had a point where the colour used to sting like I was beginning to get allergic to it.

Mine was also horrible when I put it up.

This was one of those things that thankfully went on it's own. I think I had it about 3 years, not continuous but every now and then I was trying different shampoo and conditioner to try and work out what was causing it.

By the time it was ok again I decided I looked to old for pony tails anyway.

• Posted

Hi. I've thought a few times over the months that I must be allergic to something, nearly started on some antihisitimines as well. Just like you, it hurts like mad to have it lifted, as yesterday proved.

I've spent a small fortune on different shampoos..everything from intense shampoos/conditioners to ones containing tea tree oil. I would say I have dandruff but it falls out in clumps. Sometimes my tops are covered in it, even now after the itching has stopped. Hopefully I'll be like you and it will just stop on it's own eventually. Thanks Zigangie.

• Posted

I found an occasional wash in nizoral shampoo helped with the dandruff. My GP prescribed it once for an itchy head which I had a lot too, it didn't help with the itching much but made the dandruff go.

You can buy it in a chemist.

• Posted

Thank you. I will have to try this because it's almost a snow storm, especially when I've washed and dried it. The other week, my father-in-law actually swiped it off my shoulders. I was so embarrassed especially knowing that people behind me in the queue at Morrisons must have wondered what the heck was on my top. I had no idea until he swiped it off for me. If it helps with the dandruff, I'm all for trying it. Thanks again Zigangie.
    • Posted

Now this is too funny. I had put some colour in my hair about a year ago l, the same colour that I've always used. For some reason a day later, my scalp itched like crazy and I thought I was having an allergic reaction. I scratched my scalp so bad I could barely touch it. After that it seemed that my scalp was so itchy and sore sometimes that I could no longer put chemicals in my hair. I started going natural after that so now I don't do any colouring, or relaxing. At times my scalp is so sore I hate to touch it. It must yet be another peri problem.
    • Posted

I have wondered Jamie if my hair doesn't like colouring on it, but it never touches my scalp as I have foils to put it on but my scalp has driven me mad and the dandruff drops out, it doesn't float. I went natural for years but I decided to try colouring again to cheer myself up a little as the grey was really showing against my very dark natural hair. Lol, I tried to knock years off myself, but ended up itching like I'd got fleas lol.

My scalp took a few days to calm down and now thankfully, it doesn't feel bruised but I'll bet that it will again because it's happened before. They say our skin changes and our allergies. Maybe we've just become hypersensitive to somethings. Drat!!

• Posted

I'm not surprised by any symtpoms now. It's always something. My scalp was so sore the other day, I didn't even bother to comb my hair. I put a bonnet on it. My grey has grown in tremendously. But I can't seem to take dye anymore so I look wayyyyyyy older than I am. But I have been grey since I was 16. So I guess I'll just embrace my grey.
  • Posted

i also preferred to allow my greys to show

but a family weddings coming up and have to colour- dreading it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.