Sore knee

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, I have had a sore knee now for a couple of weeks. It settles down if I don't go running but as I am training for a marathon I can't stay away from training for two long. It's my right leg and its hurts on the top of the knee cap towards the left. Any ideas what this could be? Thanks

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there,

Are you in the U.K.? If so you may have a fight in your hands to get a referral! But, stick with it because you have 2 options, either you get this sorted PROPERLY now or you carry on as you are regardless of the damage you are, potentially, doing to yourself.

When I had a problem with my left knee, I was about 40, the locum GP i saw told me that I wasn't Michael Owen & wouldn't be having an arthroscopy so suggested exercises. He didn't tell me what exercises! Some years later I saw my own GP who refrrred me to an orthopaedic & trauma surgeon, at a private hospital on the NHS, he did an MRI which was inconclusive,so did arthroscopy. I had 2 tears in the meniscus, which he dealt with but told me I had arthritis in the joint. That leg needs a TKR, had the right one done as much more pain in it!

So the moral to my story for you is don't put this off! Try to get it sorted NOW! If you need to batter your GP's door down every week so be it. You do not want to end up at 57 being told you need a new knee but you are too young to go on the list & wait until you cannot bear the pain any more as I was!

Good luck 😉

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thanks marilyn10235. I seem to only get the pain during and after exercise. If I don't do anything it's fine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.