Sore knee afterR

Posted , 8 users are following.

hello,

im 7 weeks post THS my operated leg was 6cm shorter than the other. This was corrected during surgery and now its just a fraction shorter which im happy with compared to what it was. My concern now is that my knee on operated side is throbbing all the time and im so depressed that everything else is pukka but i still walk in pain even after this im hoping its just my knee joint realigning but if anyone else has had similar experience id love to hear how you got on good or badim a 50 year old male thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It strikes me that there are two likely causes,

1. knee joint realigning (quite possible after just 7 weeks)
    2. osteoarthritis in the knee joint

An x-ray will show if it is osteoarthritis or not, so I'd ask my doctor for one to rule it out as a first step.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

greg

i have been following this site for a couple of months and no one to date has had the issues i have been having until i saw your note im 52 trs old, very athletic and had an anterior hip replacement 12 wks ago my leg was also shorter and therefore they had to stretch it in surgery to make them equal BUT ever since surgery my knee on the operated leg has been a mess - always throbbing in pain . while the good news is, the pain is not as intense, it is still there and causing me a lot trouble. i go back to the doctor next week and plan to discuss. i will update you on outcome. did you have anterior or posterior approach?

• Posted

posterior i thinkthanks for your replyplease keep me informed on your progress prognosis and i will do the same x

• Posted

hi im 54. Had my 2nd hip replaced 4 months ago. it was really sore and gave me quite a lot of pain. My husband used to massage around the knee and put anti flam in the tight muscles around my knee. Also some gentle stretching helped. A heat pad helped as well good luck

D

• Posted

thanks my husband definitely does that. i also go to physical therapy for both my knee and hip but im not progressing . if i do things that help the hip, it bothers the knee and vice versa. i also want to get back to my workouts and cant . i dont just want to be able to walk but workout with cardio - which cant do because of the issues

• Posted

I have same problem right leg was shorter and corrected during surgery. I am suffering from knee pain and still limping a little over 5 weeks. I wish you well.

• Posted

I am 13 months post anterior hip replacment - which was not really successful. Well, nerve damage to the femoral nerve which in turn affected the knee and the saphenous nerve which wraps around the knee. Nothing but hip pain and an inability to walk long distances. Knee is permanently swollen and painful. Cortisone injections helped but not long term. I need a second opinion and a repeat nerve test. The last one showed abnormal results. I so wish I had not opted for an anterior approach...much higher risk of nerve damage. Hope you have better outcome in the end than mine. Maureen O'Brien

• Posted

you poor love Maureen sounds hatefuli hope things get better for you

• Posted

hi greg how is the hip and knee apologize for delay went to surgeon and he recommended i see a sport dr that does cortisone injections going tomorrow

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.