Sore Mouth

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been on Methotrexate now for about 7 months. First tablets which caused a lot of problems,now injections. My joints do not feel any better,and I've a constant sore mouth and also a swollen painful bottom lip.TOP lip ok Just bottom one swells. But it's becoming a problem. Will it pass,do I carry on or what.Anyone else with this problem

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Are you on folic acid? If so, the dose may not be enough to prevent the sore mouth and you need a bit more. If not - why not? You should be.

Most doctors give methotrexate 6 months and if it doesn't seem to have worked reconsider the use of it - so you need to discuss this with your doctor.

• Posted

I am on Folic acid 5 mgs

And I'm due to see Rheumatologist in May.

• Posted

Different doctors seem to use folic acid differently, some a daily 1mg dose, others as one 5mg tablet a week - but that is the usual amount. Perhaps others with the same problem will comment too. 

Not long until May really.

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear you are still having a problem.  I constantly had a sore throats and sometime mouth.  I was on 5mg 1 day per week now on folic acid 5mg 6 days per week and is now much better. You could ask your doctor to increase the folic acid.  Hope it works.
    • Posted

Thank you for that .I will ring Rheumatologist today to see what to do

as this constant soreness is driving me mad

• Posted

I was pretty sure that some doctors use that much - but not being absolutely sure I didn't want to say. Thanks - I know now!!!!

• Posted

Hi Guinivere, when I first went on Methotrexate, about 3 years ago, I seemed to have a permanently sore mouth and tongue due to mouth ulcers. My rheumatology pharmacist suggested increasing my folic acid from 5mgs once weekly to 5 times weekly. It took a while but it seemed to do the trick. Now had to stop methotrexate altogether due to lung problems but that's another story!

Good luck. Carol

• Posted

Thanks Carol.I will ask about increasing my Folic Acid.If that don't work, I'm coming.off it as it don't seem to make a lot of difference to my joints

• Posted

Hi Guinevere, I am on MTX and I take 1mg. Folic acid every day.  In the beginning I was taking 2 folic pills ( 2mg.) a day-- doctor prescribed.  Before RA, when I had to go to the dentist I always got sores in my mouth that I take folic I am not bothered.  Good luck
  • Posted

Hello Guinivere,

See if your family doctor or rheumatologist will allow you to try L-Lysine. This is an amino acid supplement which can be found at Wal-Mart and many other stores. I take a 500 caplet twice a day and it seems to help. Without Lysine, my inside lower lip tends to get what feels like blisters forming. I am also on Methotrexate 10 mg injections once a week since January 6, 2016, Enbrel 50 mg once a week since November 16, 2016 and 2 mg of Folic Acid seven days a week for rather severe RA.

Hope this helps.

Don

• Posted

You have described my lower lip problem perfectly,that is how.it feels.I will ask about Lysine I haven't heard of that.

I take 15 Methotrexate injection and 5mgs of Folic acid.I rang Rheumatologist yesterday and they said to increase my Folic Acid.I see them in May and will ask about Lysine then

Sue

• Posted

Hello Sue,

I take one 500 mg caplet in the morning and one 500 mg caplet in the evening. If I forget to take these for a couple of days, I can feel the blister like areas inside my lower lip forming. Since this issue began after starting Methotrexate, I consider that to be the cause of the blister like areas.

Let me know what your rheumatologist says about taking L-Lysine. I know these work for me.

Don

• Posted

Folic acid isn't used to stop you getting a sore mouth, it is used for folic acid deficiency and anemia.   A few of the meds, both DMARDS and biologics can cause a sore mouth/gums.   I never had the problem with MTX; rather, cimzia and arava both gave me very sensitive gums and teeth.   I couldn't eat or drink anything other than warmish food.drinks and I had to be very careful eating things like toast because they would cause my gums to split and bleed.   Now, because these symptoms aren't listed as common side effects, the Rheumatologist refused to believe the cimzia or arava were causing it; rather, my teeth were just in need of attention - all 32 of them.   If it ain't in the book it don't happen according to the medical fraternity.    As soon as I stopped cimzia and arava my gums and teeth returned to normal.

• Posted

Yet my Rheumatologist told me to increase my Folic for the problem

My mouth is sore like that as well

I shall see if the increase helps.I have a GP appointment Wednesday so will ask then.

Sue

• Posted

"Folic acid isn't used to stop you getting a sore mouth, it is used for folic acid deficiency and anemia."

Folic acid deficiency CAUSES "a sore and red tongue (glossitis),

mouth ulcers" amongst other things. 

MTX interferes with the pathway - so you take folic acid on all the days you don't take mtx. And after all - if taking extra folic acid works it is the answer and initially, the first thing to try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.