Sore mouth/burning tongue caused by stress/anxiety

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hi can anyone help

Ive been dealing with alot of stress and anxiety for a while now which has caused a whole range of symptoms.. more recently (about 2 weeks ago) my tongue has been feeling sore as if its been burnt its constant and very annoying! At night my mouth is also so dry and its difficult to sleep.. can this be caused by stress and anxiety ? It sometimes even feels like my lips are burning..

Anyone else had this please help..

Ive looked it up and seems like alot of per menapausal women get this.. i am in my mid twenties so i doubt its that !

Thanks

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

are you drinking enough water? Most people are actually dehydrated and they don’t know it. Stress and anxiety could cause your symptoms but you want to make sure that you’re hydrated also.there is a mouth rinse or a spray that you can use for dry mouth. You use it before bedtime. It helps keep your mouth moist during sleep. You can get it at a local drugstore.

• Posted

Wow I have really similar symptoms. For a few months I have had off and on burning on my tongue with no obvious cause. Sometimes my tongue is white as well. I have also had similar skin symptoms elsewhere - burning on my feet, my backside and my face.

I've seen a dermatologist who ran plenty of blood tests and found nothing. No nutritional deficiencies.

I don't think it's dehydration because I have normal levels of saliva in my mouth. It just feels like I've scalded my tongue, usually around the edges or at the tip. Sometimes the front of the roof of my mouth feels sore as well.

I am wondering if it is caused by anxiety and depression, because my mental health has been a complete mess over this same time period (the last six months).

It's reassuring to hear similar stories from others.

• Posted

Hey sally62433...I am of menopausal age and I have the very same thing. But my symptoms include little sores all over my tongue and inside my mouth. Very painful. I googled it and there is a syndrome called sore tongue syndrome or sore mouth syndrome. The dr I spoke to abt it had never heard of it. I have never found anything that helps. I use over the counter toothache medicine when its really bad. And yes, stress and anxiety exacerbate it or cause it to flare up again. Hang in !there

• Posted

hi sorry you have this i have burning mouth syndrome caused by anxiety and stress came on one day and never went away for 5 years but with help from dental hospital i was put on anti depress tabs which worked wonders - i now have it back due to life events causing stress - please ask your doc about BMS - biglove hope u getter soon B

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.