Sore neck and shoulder

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I have suffered from PMR for five years now. Finally got myself down to 7mg of prednisolone.

I have been on this dose for about 6 months now and though not all pain free it is copable. Rheumatolgist wants me to reduce further. Tried 6 and a half. No use had to go back to 7.

lately though my right shoulder and right side of neck have been extremely painful. Even seems to annoy the muscles in right hand side of throat. Left shoulder bit sore if I lift my hand above head but not too bad. I am right handed so not using right arm to rest it is difficult.

Has anyone else found one side worse than the other?

Regards,

Barbara

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Similar to what I was experiencing recently with a flare. I've taken 9 mg for a couple of days now and much better. (Had been trying 4, after increasing earlier this year. For several years I was happily at around 2.) I don't want to die any more. But I do have arthritis in my neck and I believe referred pain from this is also a factor. My right side was worse. When the left began to join in the party I decided it was PMR not arthritis, or at least PMR was significantly part of the issue, and the increased dose really seems to have helped so much so quickly I guess it is PMR.

• Posted

I don't know why my reply is awaiting moderation - I was simply describing symptoms similar to yours and my deciding it was more likely PMR than OA causing them, so I increased pred to 9 mg and much better. I've been close to 2 mg for years, but have been flaring really since the beginning of this year.

• Posted

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply Anhaga,

I did not get your reply until I logged in to Patient so no e mail was received to let me know I had any replies. Anyway thank you. I tried upping to 8mg it did not work and as I was going away for the weekend and wanted some relief I upped to ten mg . Not much difference on the first day,second Yipee! felt good. Today ,third day I seem to have gone back the way. I will give it another couple of days on ten if no improvement will go back down again. I am concerned that it may be arthritis so do not want to take extra pred if that may be the case. Unfortunately booking an appointment with GP in these Covid days is not easy and I do not see my Rheumatologist until next year.

Best Wishes,

Barbara

• Posted

Do come over to the PMRGCAuk charity forum at https://healthunlocked.com/pmrgcauk

Most of us here decamped (including Anhaga) when this forum became so difficult to use after unasked for changes. We were ignored and none of the promised changes have been made. There are thousands of active members on the other forum, all over the world though mostly in the UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.