Sore on chin crease

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there, I got this weird skin irritation between my low lip and my chin, it looks like a cold sore but not sure 100%. I have had for a week and yet nothing changed. It formed a crust and then peeled off and now it’s just red and itchy at times. When I wake up I have the crust again and I cannot seem to get it away, I also have been putting some antibiotics cream on top. It doesn’t really hurt or anything but I wanna get rid of it. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If its a cold sore,then antibiotics wont get rid of it,as it is a virus and you need something specifically for this. . However  I wonder if it is Impetigo which can cause crusty sores around the mouth. Its caused by Staph bacteria getting into a tiny cut in the skin . Have you cut yourself shaving? ....I am assuming you are male so apologies if you are not. Usually it heals up on its own but can take 3 weeks or so. 

Please note there are several other things this could be and some need treating professionally as they are not benign. So if this doesnt clear in 3-4 weeks then do see a doctor. 

• Posted

Hi thanks for the quick response. I looked into it and I don’t think it’s impetigo because I’m a week it would have spread everywhere. Also it does not look like that.
  • Posted

Hi Giovannipaterno,

You could be right about the cold sore, but it could be perioral dermatitis.  If it’s dermatitis, it should resolve in less than a month, but cold sores can be chronic and last a lifetime, that is they tend to go away and keep coming back. Hopefully it’s not chronic and will just go away forever. You might want to just wash that area with cold water and not  put any cosmetic on it. If you keep that area moistened, it might promote healing and relieve the itching. Keep an eye on it and if it doesn’t resolve in a month; go see a doctor. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.