sore pain below knee cap when initially walking

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am 14 wks post op after a partial knee knee on the medial side. I have no pain in the area of the replacement but are experiencing a sharp sore pain directly below the knee cap (i.e top of tibia)when starting walking after rest. Not sure if this is common as part of healing or not allowing enough time for soft tissue to heal after exercise or being on my feet etc as I know it can take 12 months to fully settle.

Would like to hear if others have experienced the same.

There is no inflammation or swelling or hotness of the joint.

Thanks

Regards Rob

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I get that pain as well Robert, just think it's all part of the healing.  Anyone else any thoughts...?
  • Posted

Hi Rob, this sounds similar to what I had.  Mine came about six weeks after surgery.  I was concerned that I had done something.  My surgeon said it would be soft tissue damage.  I think he was right, as it has since gone way, although I probably had it a couple months.  I still think I may have done something to bring it on......like doing a little too much too soon.  It came about the same time a lot of stiffness and first few steps walking came.  I'm five months and just the past couple of weeks I see a big improvement in the stiffness and start up walking.  I thought it seemed like a strange place for my leg to be hurting I remember.

just my experience, but your could be different.

• Posted

I would agree with Sharon that the pain is suggestive of soft tissue issues. I am presuming that you have had follow up x rays of your joint which would have shown bony problems if there was any.  So keep rehab ingredients and all being well it should settle.

Robert 

• Posted

Thanks Rob I will try and balance the exercise with the rest periods . I have been doing some decorating hence standing up all day so has probably aggravated the soft tissue I would think

• Posted

The only pain other than the burning, for me, comes after I manipulate the kneecap up nd down, which is part of my prescribed home therapy as PT said my kneecap wasn't moving as it should.  
    • Posted

I have exactly the same at the moment. Didn't know whether to ice or not
    • Posted

I sprayed some Blue Emu on the knee last night...cooled it down and thought it felt a little better...lol...not enough that I could be sure it wasn't my imagination.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.