Sore throat

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have just joined the site today and I'm suffering from what I believe to be a flare up. I am still waiting for my appointment with the rheumatologist at my local hospital. This is the second time this has happened, I get a mildly sore throat then my voice goes completely, followed by my joints becoming really painful, especially my hands, wrists, elbows and knees. The first time it occurred I thought I was coming down with a cold/flu! However I didn't get the headache or runny nose. Now it's happened again about four months later I suspect it may be a symptom of a flare up. I am only greening my information from snippets here and there, but would be pleased to hear from you if it is in fact a symptom.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Christine,

It does sound like an RA flare. Do you get a bit of a swollen gland either in your throat, or beneath your arm? I hope you don't have to wait long for your rheumatology appointment to get this clarified by the professionals. Good luck. x

• Posted

Some of  us have noticed that strep infections have opened the floodgates to RA. That's what preceded my bout with joint pain and subseqent diagnosis.

Conversely,  there are others with RA who never had any strep or infection for a year or more preceding RA symptoms.

• Posted

Hi there, I don't normally say anything on these forums but I get great help from others discussing this cruel situation we have all found ourselves in! 

I felt the the need to comment on your post Christine because I have currently been having continual flare ups some pretty severe for the last 3 or so months and one thing I have noticed is this on off sore throat, which on further investigation is actually part of RA for some people some 20% I believe? But most don't asossiate the sore throat as a symptom, I get the impression it's inflamation of the larynx?

I just felt the need to comment and say you are not alone on the sore throat thing and that for us all we find some proper comfort and solutions soon!!!

take Care :0)

• Posted

Thank you for replying Kathryn, it helps to know it could be part of my problem!

Never in my life have I been floored so quickly from the start of a sore throat to not been able to get out of bed, even the occasional flu bug has never knocked me out so quickly, again thank you for taking the time to reply x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.