Sore throat and carbimazole

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hiya all had a sore throat around a week and a half now. Doctor gave me antibiotics for ear and throat infection not working at all. I also got a blood test referral to go for went into get it but the queue was massive so walked out had to get to work. Anyway I have totally forgot about getting bloods done to check if carbimazole is cause of sore throat. Doctor did not tell me to stop carbimazole. Right now I am in so much pain throat is like razor blades and so much pressure in ears. Maybe it is just bad infection anyone else had this while using carbimazole??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I often get sore throats, but it's with a fever that I'm to,d it's dangerous and to desist with carbimazole , by my Endocrinologist.

hope this helps?

BUT...please go see a GP and ask about this, it's not right for anyone to suffer like this, maybe you need a different antibiotic spectrum.....

pall the best...Jan x

• Posted

Thank you I know in so much pain tonsil on the right side has doubled in size all pain in right ear just reduced me to tears I have no fever or aching body that's what I find weird xx
    • Posted

My glands swell, especially my neck, throat, and it causes ear pain too....

try some throat lozenges for small relief, gargle with warm salt water to reduce any infection there...

thinking of you X 

• Posted

I would definitly go and see a doctor & do your blood tests.

I had bad throat when started cabrimazole, GP gave me antibiotics thinking it was tonsillitis. But my endocrinologist said it was because my thyroid was inflamed and it was causing pain in my throat.

If you have fever, prob an infection so would definitly go and do the blood test. Better to be safe than sorry!

Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

I am also suffering with overactive thyroid, I was taking 20mg daily at first, however my last blood check found that I was been over treated and I was dropped back to 10mg , I have started to get sore throat 's since I have been put on the lower dose of carbimazole, I called my Doctor to ask if I could stop this medication and of course he said no  but said I could drop it to 5mg and even on this low dose I still suffer from sore throat and I also have stomach bloating that I suspect is being caused by carbimazole. I hope that perhaps some one will read this post and let me know if they have these symptom's . I feel like I am going from bad to worse.

Hope to hear from some one.

Breda....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.