Sore throat and hiatus hernia.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a chest infection and laryngitis at the same time at the start of Dec.The chest infection cleared within a week but the laryngitis lasted several weeks.I had 6 weeks off work with a sore throat and hoarse voice where i could hardly talk for 6 weeks.I had a laryngoscopy after 6 weeks and they found my vocal cords were fine but i had some acid reflux.I requested a gastroscopy to see how bad the acid is and how far into my stomach.I had this done yesterday and was told that i have a hiatus hernia and need medication.Not sure how bad it is but i don't seem to suffer indigestion much just constant throat clearing.I have a swelling in my chest area but i have read that histus hernias don't cause swelling.Any help would be welcome please.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Usually it's recommended to remove the hernia. The symptoms for reflux is what you describe and will get better follow doc advice. Once you can take medicine and eat a reflux friendly diet you can get back to normal. See the foods recommended on patient forum will help you cope with this in time it will heal and you can eat most foods. Keep in mind the triggers to your acid reflux. 

• Posted

I have GERD and a small Hiatal Hernia and mild inflammation in the duodenum and they gave me Nexium 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.