Sore throat and sore oesophagus

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone else have flare ups of a sore throat and sore oesophagus, the Dr thinks it's acid reflux, ppi's aren't doing anything, now being tested for hpylori bacteria, but can't help thinking that it may be connectred to my AS.r

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi...Yes!  I feel a bit releived to hear you say it, though it is not nice.  It wakes me at night.  I havent been able to explain it but you are right it is 'sore osephagus'.  My GP says it IS part of SpA  (AS).  It's worst when the rest of the pain is worst( more than half the time). Hope you feel better.  I being tested for SIBO and assorted stomach and bowel and intenstine issues.  In order to get to the bottom of my Auto Immune condition. Best of luck.
    • Posted

Hi Kay, I have had a sore throat and burning/soreness in my chest before on numerous occasions over the years, but it has gone over a matter of days, this however has gone on for a few weeks, I just wish it would go as spontaniously as it appeared lol, AS is so annoying in how it travels about the body!!, the good thing is at least over time each troublesome spot tends to burn itself out albeit leaving us with damage. itt
    • Posted

PS Best of Luck to you too 😀
  • Posted

Don't have your symptoms, but something related.  Prior to being diagnosed with AS, I developed constant heartburn.  I was tested negative for hpylori bacteria.  Ppi's cleared up my heartburn.  Then I was put on a regimen of strong antibiotics to treat AS which caused reoccurrence of heartburn. Now, I have psoriasis ....  as a result of antibiotics. Am back on ppi's.  Like you, I wonder if gastrointestinal issues are related to AS......I had an endoscopy and was told I have a pocket where gas is trapped.  AS, being an autoimmune disorder, presents itself in so many annoying ways!
    • Posted

Thanks for info.  It is certainly a nightmare.  I am sure their is a way to improve the situation.  So far i find 'The autoimmune solution' provides some overall understanding, one may or maynot be able to put in to practice.

• Posted

Hi Yogee and Kay, I do think that AS can cause digestive problems, I'm glad Yogee that ppi's sorted your heartburn out in the first instance, I am on the third week of mine at the moment, they don't seem to be doing anything, but then I hear that sometimes a different ppi will work, I am going back to my Dr on monday for the results of my Hpylori test, if it comes back negative, I will put to her that it might be AS, it is strange that in the past these flare ups have come and gone in a couple of days, I rarely go to the Dr's with my AS because so far I have managed it without medications, I wasn't diagnosed with it until 19 years ago when I was 41, though on reflection I think that I had started with it in my early 20's, I only went for help because I thought that I had got a simple eye infection, it turned out to be iritis, that was followed by testing and a diagnosis of AS, I suppose the list goes on, fused spine at the bottom, back pain, leg pain, chest pain, lots of other aches and pains, but I suppose it does become a way of life. So glad that mine wasn't diagnosed until after the birth of my last child (4 altogether) because apparently my AS was triggered by the actual mechanics of giving birth, I can remember problems after each birth but just thought it was one of those things, if I had been diagnosed after the birth of my first child I would have been advised not to have any more children, would rather have aches and pains and four children any day lol
  • Posted

HI all,   Obviously when most people think of gastrointestinal illnesses associated with AS they think of the inflammatory bowel issues.  Having said that though, I've had two sets of endoscopy/colonoscopy in the past few years and on each of them the gastroenterologist said that I had a bit of gastritis and esophagitis.  Since he went in there specifically looking for evidence of inflammatory processes in the bowel he made the comment that my results looked good.  But when I mentioned to him that this was the second straight time that me told me I had gastritis and esophagitis and the tests were a couple of years apart, he didnt really have a good answer as to why.  Soooo, I don't know.   Maybe there is something to it.  I do know that AS has a tendency to attack connective tissue in the body and I have deformities in the aortic root and the aortic valves because of it so maybe it's all interconnected.  
    • Posted

I agree with you Peter, the soreness goes through to my back and feels as if it is the bones that are sore making me think that it is to do with AS, I'm hoping that if I test negative for Hpylori well then it might have to be a waiting game to give the symptoms time to disappear by themselves, this has usually happened in the past with all attacks to different parts of my body, iritis being the exception, my worst attack was on the bottom of my spine, really crippling flare ups for 11 years when it finally burnt itself out leaving me with fusion, I had neck attacks years previous to that (at that time I hadn't been diagnosed) which were horrendous, but me being me never sort medical help for any of these, always just putting up with it, that's me, stubborn!! this recent thing with my throat and oesophagus id frustrating because I hate going to the doctors!! lol
    • Posted

Hi, Well I had two HPylori tests, both inconclusive, but treatment was recommended to rule it out, taking my first lot of medication today and for the next 7 days, then continue with ppi's for a further three weeks, if symptoms still persist I will be sent for the camera, still hoping it's my AS, feeling pretty worried at the moment, only because I want it all sorted and out of the way!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.