Sore throat, congestion, tinnitus for 4 weeks on alendronate

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on alendronate for osteoporosis for 8 weeks now -- about 4 weeks ago I started with a stuffy nose, sore throat, shakiness and figured I had the flu.  But the sore throat and stuffy nose and some tinnitus has now been going on for 4 weeks -- it could just be a long running cold but has anyone else had these symptoms?  thanks, karen

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I've been taking Alendronic Acid for about 2 years with no problems, however the brand was changed and last Friday(day1 of new brand), I felt very strange involuntary movements to arms and body, dizzy and sick. Today I took one and went to the gym in the car.  when I came to drive home I felt unwell.  Drove for 2 miles then pulled over and asked a friend to bring my husband to drive me home as I felt unwell.  I went to the Chemist who said he had a few people with similar symptoms, took the tablets and gave me the old brand.  Has anyone else experienced this ?

• Posted

Interesting - what were the brands.  Mine changed as well, but even so not going to start again.  Licence hold of the last lot was TEVA UK Ltd.  More importantly, do you know if chemist has reported this, because he / she should.
    • Posted

wow, so scarry.  I have read that some of the generic meds are not as good as the branded ones.  I will start up next week to see if my symptoms reappear.  
    • Posted

Sorry Victoria gave them into the chemist and can't remember.  The ones I have now are Accord and Milpharm.  Strange though a friend recently was admitted to hospital with chest pains, the doctor told her to stop taking Alendronic Acid and she's fine. Does anyone have the annual injection?  Yes at the chemist I filled in a form and he is reporting it.

• Posted

Actually, now you mention it, yes, I did have chest pains, didn't do anything, call anyone, I'm not being admitted to hospital for anything and have done the forms to make sure this doesn't happen.  No chest pain in recent weeks.

• Posted

I'm going to start taking the AA this Wednesday again and will keep you posted.  Interesting -- an aside -- my cousin in the US who has been on AA for many years fell and fractured her shoulder and pelvis (she is 70 yrs) -- I was really surprised as I was convinced the AA would keep that from happening -- I don't know the details but will post when I find out.  

• Posted

Hi Karen, a couple of things, no one should be on a biosophonate for osteoporosis (generally) for more than five years; none of the companies claim that the drug will prevent fractures, they extrapolate data that (according to them) 'reduces the risk' of fracture. Not sure hwy you were convinced AA would stop that from happening. The second thing is, in the US, the manufacturers have set aside a few million $ for settlements where people taking the drugs have had 'shearing' across upper femur (without a fall), and also had to have their jaws rebuilt due to osteonecrosis of the jaw (crumbling bone and tooth loss).  It is tragic this has happened to your cousin and really sorry, it will be is going to be quite a long (expensive) rehab I guess, with all the associated risk of chest infections, and the physio won't be much fun.

• Posted

Thanks, yeah I know they say it is supposed to help prevent.  My mom was on it forever and didn't have any problems with fractures although was quite hunched.  I'm glad you've shared with me because I'm realising that biosophonates are not quite as good as the hype has made out to be.  hmmm.  Lots to think about. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.