Sore Throat for 4 months- worried I have cancer

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm hoping through this forum might help make sense of some symptoms I have.

I've had on-off sore throat for over a year now ranging from mild soreness to feeling like I have a lump in my throat. However, for the last 4 months it has been everyday. The pain/discomfort isn't there all the time. Some days I get very little, other days it comes and goes a lot. It's always the left hand side and I also get some pain/discomfort in my ear. It generally (but not always) seems to get worse throughout the day, being at it's worst in the late afternoon / evening.

Since Feb I have also had swollen lymph nodes under my jaw/ top of neck. To be honest the swelling was never really bad and it has gone down and they seem to be going down very, very slowly (with bouts of minor re-swelling).

For ages the drs fobbed me off and then told me it was a virus. I saw a different GP a couple of weeks ago and he was great, did lots of looking and feeling and said it felt like I had a small swelling in vocal chord. He took blood and all came back normal but a very slight increase in neutrophils. He prescribed reflux medicine to try for 2 weeks. Unfortunately it hasn't really changed anything. I'm due to see him again in 2 days.

I'm also pregnant (6 months). Initially drs were putting it down to that too, which maybe I could accept if it had not been happening before I was pregnant too. It's also strange that the pain is not constant and is not at its worst when I swallow, it seems to be worst when I make certain noises in conversation and sometimes singing, coughing too (it does seem to cause me to cough and clear my throat more). Also, the presence of swollen nodes makes me very scared.

Basically I've been so stressed about this and really worried that it can't be anything else beside cancer. Not necessarily looking for everyone to tell me I'm fine, just some honest advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated smile

Thank you in advance and sorry it's such a lonnnggg post!

Kelly smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Ladykvv,

I do the same. My ent said my lingual tonsils are irritated and swollen due to avid. I too hurt on one side an into ear. I think cuz of lingual tonsil swollen is affecting my ear. I talk 2 many, many, with acid reflux/globus and Tha 2 all have swollen lymph nodes as I do. I have in neck and under arm. Wr take acvinegar and put under arm..yr symptoms sound like so many of ours..try not to worry. Look up lingual tonsils. Tha r deep and one side can be effected like mine is..take care b calm ..wink

• Posted

Thank you Terrie. I saw my gp on Friday and have been referred to ENT. He didn't think it was anything urgent, but I'm still feeling really stressed. I think maybe because the symptoms are not constant and consistent, perhaps that means that it might not be cancer. But I don't want to kind myself!

I looked up Lingual Tonsillitis and it looks like a possibility. Trying not to worry too  much as know it's not good for my baby! Thank you for your reassurance though.

?

?Take care

• Posted

Yep, mine is not consistent either..you will be fine..smile Peace!!!
  • Posted

Hi LadyKVV, I was wondering what your outcome on this was. Hope you and baby are well.
  • Posted

I removed my tonsils late April, now is July is actually about 3 months since my surgery now and I am experiencing a tight throat, itchy throat. its always feels dry, scratching and irritated throat causing cough. the doctor said is normal but I need help. sometimes my voice is not goodcry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.