Sore throat for months

Posted , 6 users are following.

For the past 5-6 months, I've been waking up with a sore throat that lasts the entire day. It's not painful like strep throat but I mainly notice it when I swallow. I tested negative for Covid a few months ago so I ruled that out first. Antihistamines didn't help either.

I finally decided to go to an ENT doctor who did a laryngoscopy and said my throat had a few bumps and was a little red. He prescribed me a nasal spray which I started using but stopped after I got this throbbing headache a few weeks ago - I NEVER get headaches so I was worried that the spray may have caused it.

Last week, he brought me back for a CT Scan of my sinus and the scan came back normal. He said it could either be acid reflux or sleep apnea and offered me a prescription medication for reflux and a home sleep study. I haven't tried either yet.

A week ago, I found an old suitcase in my closet that grew some yellow mold looking stuff on it and immediately threw it out. I also had my vents professionally cleaned. Yet, I still have my sore throat.

I'm lost on what my next step should be. See an allergist for possible exposure? Do the sleep study? Get checked for throat cancer?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hello did you ever figure out what was wrong with you? i am in this same situation. went to my doc all summer she kept telling me its nothing. finally refered me to a ent. they said it was silent reflux. i never had any health issues. they prescribed me a reflux medication. it doesnt help. my throat is sore from the time i wake up to the time i go to sleep 😦 i noticed a few red bumps in back of my throat. im so worried

• Posted

i had a similar issue for a couple years, still bothers me here n there, i had endoscopy and camera down my nose, blood test ect.... nothing ever found. even had barium swallow xray. i snore so that sometimes makes it sore too, good luck and i doubt its cancer, your ent would gave seen that

• Posted

What exactly were your symptoms if you don't mind me asking. My throat has driven me nuts for over a year now ENT saw nothing and just said Globus. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.