Sore throat for over 3 months and it keeps going.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I am a 24 years old guy and I have had a sore throat for over 3 months now.

I'll start by saying that I have been sick very few times in my life, last time was about 10 years ago or so. But this time something got me and doesn't want to leave.

This infection (or whatever it may be) doesn't give me any other symptom other than light/medium classic throat pain and a lightly swollen lymph node under my jaw. 

No fever, no leaky nose, no headache or anything, just sore throat and the lymph.

I've been to my doctor twice; the first time I was prescribed amoxicillin (antibiotic) for 10 days, but it did absolutely nothing. The second time the doc said it's most likely a viral infection and there's no much she or I can do about it, my body has to beat it.

Now, the soreness in the throat is stronger during the morning for the first few hours and then gradually goes to a passive state, in which I either eat something cold like an ice cream or drink a cold drink to feel it, otherwise I just occasionally feel tickling and rarely an acute pain like if someone stabbed me with a toothpick into the back of the trachea, other times I feel a light pain on my left ear that then goes away within 5 minutes.

Visually, the tonsils are OK, don't have white spots nor are swollen. 

The only thing I can see are deep white spots on the pharynx (the throat wall).

I tried to gargle my throat with salt and mouthwash for a couple of weeks, but it made no difference. 

Honestly, I don't know what to think anymore, I am worried. This thing has been bothering me for 3 months and it doesn't seem to improve or get worse. 

Is 'waiting' really the only thing I can do? Is there a chance that it's something more complex than an acute viral infection? I'll remind you that I don't get sick very easily, rather it's hard for me to get sick.

What should I do at this point..?

I can provide pictures, info or anything if anyone has questions.

Thanks for your time, hope someone can give me suggestions.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

TOPIC
  • Posted

HI,

I have had a sore throat for over a month now everyday all the time and its not going away.  I was wondering how things turned out for you?

Thanks Kristy

• Posted

Hi i know it has been 8 months. But wanted to know if you were able to resolve the it.
  • Posted

Hi, were you able to get an answer for this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.