Sore throat for three weeks?! Mono

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi! 

I think I'm a bit unusual as I'm 41 and was just diagnosed w mono. I believe my 6 year old has or first and have it to me. 

Anyway, it started out typically with flu like symptoms; chills, dizziness, nausea, loss of appetite, 3 weeks ago. Very slowly my one tonsil started getting bigger and white spots appeared. No strep and was eventually diagnosed w mono. Every day my tonsils have gotten a little bigger and are now completely covered in white. So damn painful! 

Everything I read, this should not last this long. Thoughts? I was given a steroid pack today but I am frightened to take it. 

Thank you! 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

​This virus lasts forever, who ever said three weeks has never had mono. The only thing you can really do is rest as much as possible.  I got it at age 54 from my granddaughter. I thought I would never get over it but eventually it does get better.

• Posted

I think my concern is I read that the sore throat part is supposed to last 7-20 days and I'm now just past that. I can't sleep, so how can I rest. This is horrible. Thank you for responding! 

• Posted

I know how you feel, it is very hard to rest and all the symptoms keep you on edge and anxious. I know they tested me for strep because they can go hand in hand. They didn't offer me a steroid pack so I am not sure about that.

I spent many days worrying and wondering if I would ever feel normal again, my doctor said rest and fluids, I hated that they didn't have an answer other than that.  Just know that many people on this site have had it for longer than the standard 6-8 weeks that they tell you online.

• Posted

Hi r,

yep mono is right, we've all had it longer than that, I was 40 when I got it and its been nearly a year for me! It's a really nasty virus, you need to rest, take fluids, vitamins eat healthy anything to boost your immune system. It's slowly fading for me but it's a roller coaster of ups and downs. It's just so tough when you're going through it. Xxx

• Posted

I'm really more worried about the severe sore throat part lasting longer. You think that's ok?

• Posted

I've seen the people on this forum have different symptoms or varying degrees, my throat was never really really bad but I know you can have tonilitis with this.  After nearly a year my throat this morning has a small white dot at the back of it! It's been mildly sore on and off for a long time. I'm not a doctor but symptoms just seem to come and go and stay ages with this horrid virus. Go back to your gp if you are still worried, won't hurt xx

• Posted

Hi r05149,

So sorry to hear you've been struggling with mono, just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you as someone who went through the virus too. Key thing to a good strong recovery is getting plenty of rest and removing stress as much as possible, a key mistake people make is to keep ploughing on like they would with a normal cold or whatever, but this one definitely needs more respect and it can prolong recovery if not given respect.

Taking some vitamins and herbal supplements helped me for sure, a good strong multi-vitamin per day, high doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), B complex for energy levels and an immune boosting herb like echinicea or siberian ginseng.

Just want to reassure you that you will get over it, don't panic if it doesn't come right away or there is still some fatigue or tiredness, that can be normal, key thing is just to look after yourself at this time! I'm not sure about steroid packs or anything, my understanding is that as a virus something like that may not make a difference (like taking antibiotics wouldn't help either), but I'm not a doctor or have any medical knowledge or anything.

Hang in there and these forums can be good places for advice, guys like Mono and Caroline are great for offering good advice and help as they have been through a tough time with it lately.

Take care and remember you WILL get better!

Craig

• Posted

Hi r,

craig is so so right. He has been a massive support and reassurance for me over these last few months and I am getting better, you will too.xx

• Posted

Thanks so much Caroline, hope things are a bit more settled for you at the moment - goodness knows you deserve it!

Craig

• Posted

Hi mono,

i had a few days around October 24th feeling really sick and ill, but that has passed and I'm feeling really great again! Doing more in the days and feeling less worn out! Obviously some days I'm a bit more tired but I seem to be steadily improving.

how are you? Xx

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

​Me too, I am doing much more. I get tired at the end of the day, not the sick tired though. I am glad you are feeling better.

• Posted

It's all ups and downs Caroline, hoping things are a bit more settled now, you've shown great courage through this terrible time and I just keep believing you are going to make a full recovery. The difficult days and spells are just set backs - no way will you go back what it was like at the beginning, the further away from the start the less these set backs can cause damage and the better the recovery from them - so keep remembering that in any tough days!

Craig

• Posted

I've been sick since February and had a very bad throat pain at least the start of November. It has gotten better the last few weeks, but it still kinda itches. 

• Posted

Hoping things can continue to get better Catch the bus, it's a hard slog I know hang in there and you are going to get better I truly believe thanks to God, in the name of Jesus.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

How are you feeling? Thank you again for all your help during the rough phases of this horrible virus.

• Posted

Thanks for still thinking about me Mono, been having a bit of a rough period also at the moment, just hoping and trusting in God to help and heal us all on this forum - I truly believe He will.

Hang in there Mono - things will get better! Thinking about you, Caroline, Catch the Bus, r05, Christy and everyone on the forum - better days and full recovery is on its way thanks to Jesus.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.