Sore throat on one side, odd lump, 2 weeks (picture)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Probably over-reacting but for a few weeks now I've had a sore throat on one side. It is painful sometimes when I swallow, push up with my tongue, or press on my neck/beneath my mouth roughly where my right tonsil is. There is a strange sort of lump on my right tonsil, which is quite inflamed--you can sort of see it here:

http://imgur.com/IiQPoKT

Does this look like an infection/ulcer maybe or something a bit more serious?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Looks like Tonsillitis (inflammation of the tonsils) - Paracetamol will help with the pain - it's usually self-limiting so it hanging around for a few weeks is unusual (but not uncommon / worrying), try and get to see your GP smile

On a side note. Ya know your mouths general condition does seem to indicate that you are generally 'unhealthy', maybe try and improve your diet and if you smoke then quit question wink

• Posted

PS tonsiliis affects both sides, not one. That is why inflammation on one side is a concern

• Posted

Hello. Inflamation on one side in adults is treated as suspect. You need it checked properly as a matter of urgency. I had something similar and it was dodgy. Dont wait!

if it is problematic it is very treatable caught early. Don't panic but get to your GP or denist straight away, don't wait and accept a prescription for antibiotics. Get a referral to a consultant tout suite. Insist.

• Posted

Hello, I have just discovered this post having searched for similar symptoms and I wondered if you got a diagnosis, I have something on my tonsil which looks just like that and have been to see GP who did refer me on to ENT, awaiting appointment now. 

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.