Sore throat problem

Posted , 4 users are following.

Having taken an Alendronic Acid tablet  once a week for 4 years exactly in the way prescribed without any real problems, I stopped taking it in February as I developed a sore throat together with a "burning" sensation in my mouth. This problem is still continuing four months afterwards - has anyone else experienced this happening?  I find it all very worrying.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angela,

This sounds very much as though it could be a reflux problem which is very common with AA. I took AA for only five months and now, three months after stopping taking the AA, I too have a reflux problem although mine may be less severe than yours since the acid doesn't get right into my mouth and just affests the oesophagus. I use a proprietary brand of indigestion thick liquid which neutralises the acid and coates everything so that your tissues are protected. I'll private message you the name since the moderators for this site don't allow advertising. You may of course get better suggestions but for me this works

Regards

Aristotle

• Posted

Hi Aristotle,

Thanks so much for your reply and suggestion, also for the additional info link.  I'll certainly give the "liquid" a try forthwith.  Hopefully things will begin to improve and I'll keep in touch on this subject. It was very comforting to read there are folk out there who can sympathise and relate to what I am talking about!   Thank you again for writing.

Kind regards, Angela

• Posted

That is a very common side effect. AA has a half life so you are still taking it without actually taking it unfortunately.

Aristotle will tell you what he does to help his throat and oesophageas.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you for writing, I have replied to Aristotle thanking him.  It certainly is a miserable condition and I'm hoping now it will improve.  Thanks again for your kind interest.

Kind regards, Angela

• Posted

As Kathleen mentioned, AA has a half life and that is usually between five and ten years. So AA is active even if you have stopped taking it like me. The liquid that I private messaged you about is really effective. It is quite thick and what my daughter would call 'gloopy' It coats everything that it touches with a neutralising and pain killing goo. The dose I use is one 10ml dose after each meal and within a day the pain should have reduced or disappeared. This is not a cure, it is only a neutraliser and hence, painkiller. You may get recurrences of this affliction for years to come.

I should point out that neither Kathleen nor Myself are doctors or in any way connected with the medical fraternity and any suggestions that we make are purely based on our own experiences and largely, common sense. Coating any affected areas gives your body a chance to respond and heal any damage that has been caused by the acid.

If you want any more information, please feel free to contact us and ask questions or add more information.

Aristotle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.