Sore tongue

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has any one else experienced a sore tongue and mouth ulcers on roof of the mouth with the menopause 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa , have you got dry mouth issues, I do have and my tongue is either sore or slightly burning, I put post up on tongue issues I don't think anyone answer back so I guess it's only me complaining about tongues.

• Posted

Forgot I do get accasionally ulcers in the mouth.
  • Posted

There is a condition called Burnt Mouth Syndrome .. haha odd i know.. its common in menopause and is caused by crazy hormones.. causes soreness in the tongue and mouth almost like you have drunk/eaten something too hot. This sensation can be felt anywhere in the mouth and also can go into the sinuses and ears. It can also cause numbness and tingling as its actually a nerve issue. It comes and goes.. ive had it quite bad to the point where eating was an issue and ended up living on soup for a few weeks. The mouth ulcers are not connected to this, they are just caused by your immune system struggling with the hormone changes making you prone to minor issues. Again these settle and flare up again from time to time. Rinsing your mouth with salt water a few times a day helps settle and prevent it becoming an issue.

• Posted

Hi Lisa i had that sore tongue for years, is it called geographical tongue?? But it has just disappeared. I didnt change diet or toothpaste so i reckon it was another peri symptom. But it was very sore at times and certain foods would aggrevate it ie tomatoes and citrus foods. I wish i could tell you how to cure it but as i said mine just went.
    • Posted

Hi! Just wondering how long your geographic tongue has been gone? I feel like I rarely hear of someone not having it for forever once it starts. Looking for hope it will go away eventually.
  • Posted

Hi I know it’s not a tongue issue but does anyone think you pick more things up like colds coughs etc during perimeno due to been run down with this hormone thing and when you get them they last longer sending hugs to you sll🤗🤗🤗

• Posted

Hi Lisa,, yep, yet another menopause symptom which can also include dry mouth. Things I do to help , are suck Propalis lozenges at bedtime, and only use water to clean your teeth at night as toothpaste aggravates the sore tongue. I use a dry mouthwash from Boots, which helps produce more saliva which in turn lubricates the mouth and reduces the discomfort. I did get prescribed  artificial saliva drops from the doctor but they didn't work. Try to sleep with your mouth closed....difficult,  I know, but inhaling and exhaling through your mouth makes the sore tongue worse. I have had discomfort from this symptom for a number of months and I have had some relief from the solutions above. Good luck with it!

• Posted

Thanks this is really helpful i will try the mouth wash and have a look for the lozenges 

Xx

• Posted

Yes, I had the ulcers on the roof of my mouth. It was a few years ago. I didn't associate it with menopause. But they went away. I just woke up one day and they were gone.

• Posted

I had the sore tongue/mouth ulcers a few weeks ago.  I just assumed it was due to stress.  I'm also thristy often so I drink a lot of water.

• Posted

I must admit I am thirsty as well so they have tested me for diabetes and that’s all fine 

Must me another side effect 

• Posted

Yes Lisa i have a burning tongue and sore roof of mouth. i have had bloods done and had to have a repeat b12 and folate  as not within range. Low b12 is a cause of  burning sore tongue have you had yours checked? x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.