Soreness

Posted , 3 users are following.

i had my right submandibular gland removed 11 days ago, and the wound has healed perfectly. The area around the wound is not hot to touch, red or oozing pus. howveve the area is raised and a little sore to touch. I ma due to have a follow up appointment with my consultant in five or six days time, the results of biopsies taken should be avaialable then. In the meantime can anyone tell me if the symptoms I currently have merit a trip to the Gp or hospital doctor?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It's probably fine but why not give your GP practice or the ward you were on a quick call, just for peace of mind. Good luck.

• Posted

hi, thanks for advice. I saw my GP today who told me the growth was a non malignant tumour. The lymph node removed was also non malignant. The overall sensation was a good one, I want to find out more from my consultant next week, and for sure I can tolerate the sore and inflamed tissue around the wound so long as it turns out to be benign. 
  • Posted

Hi Nick I had my submandibular gland removed May 2016, I basically the same as you but was swollen.  I went to the consultant again a week later because it was so sore but wound healed well and I continued to you the cream to reduce scaring. Over the past 12 months the wound was still sore to touch and numb feeling around the area.  It now 13 months and the soreness and nearly gone and the feeling has come back in jaw line.  I thought the consultant would discharge me but he wants to see me again in August.  It has healed really well and feeling has come back only occaionaly  do I get a little soreness but nothing like I had before.  I can relate from where you are coming from but the GP/Consultant will on suggest taking paracetamol.  The consultant did say it can take up to 2 years for nerves to get back to normal, hope this helps
    • Posted

Hi and thanks for replying to my post. I saw my GP today and was given the results from the tests on the gland. It revealed a non malignant growth called Kuttners tumour. The lymph nodes nearby which were removed were also non malignant...I nearly cried when I heard these results. I'm due to see the consultant next week. I guess everyone operation is different and mine lasted 2 hours I think, so sticky was the tissue to remove. Some soreness and inflammation is a small price to pay really, but apparently the kuttner tumour is really rare, I can move my tongue fine, but the facial nerve is stiff and feels awkward when opening my mouth fully or trying to pull down my lower lip on that side. It's not like I can't move it, just that it feels tense and a bit unpleasant. I guess time is s great healer, from what you say and I'm only 10 days post op. I wish you all the best, Nick.

• Posted

Wonderful news now you can get on with life. Try to be patient my mouth dropped quite a bit and I could see people faces it looked like I had a stroke but it's really back to normal although I did dribble and some times it still happens but trust your consultant it will get better Best Wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.