Soreness and back and chest tightness as an Anxiety symptom

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I have posted here before but not for sometime.  I have been a worryer all my life but only really suffered from Anxiety health and general anxiety for around 4/5 years.  My anxiety is bad at the moment due to health issues and a house move 200 miles away which I found very stressful  I am 69 years of age.  

I am waiting for a nuclear stress test on my heart.  I went to my gp because I was having some chest discomforant when walking up hill or in cold weather.  I went for and ECG stress test and was very anxious at the appointment.  My blood pressure shot up and although my resting ECG pulse and heart rate were normal the doctor said I would need to run for 8/9 mins on the treadmill and said I would not be able to do that.  I don't understand why then the gp sent me for this test I could have told her I would not be able to run for 8/9 mins.  The consultant said she was not sure if it was angina or my asthma which is usually mild hence the test I am waiting for and freaking out about.  In the mean time trying to be sensible cutting out chocolate biscuits etc as I do really need to lose weight and am unfit.  Going for a short 10 min walk each day albeit not at a fast pace.  My gp has already given me an angina spray saying only use if I get symptoms and resting does not make them go away.  So far have not needed to use the spray.

I am on a lot of medication as is my husband (another source of worry) and recently used ibuprofen gel on a back problems (I have arthritis  in spine and knees and neck).  I think this may have caused digestive problems although they say the gel is safe I certainly can't take the tablets only paracetamol.  My question today is does anyone get pain and tightness in the back and chest area as a result of anxi

ety.  My chest feels sore and the back is sore to the touch especially behind around the shoulder blades I have to sometime undo my bra as it feels so tight.  It is really getting me down and I can't work out whether it is to do with the arthritis anxiety indigestion or the heart.  Anyone out there relate to this. I am seeing my gp next week for another reason so will ask then.  Was really trying to look forward to Christmas but all the preparations see hard when you don't feel well.  Thanks,

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

,Anxiety causes so many physical symptoms, which I am struggling with at the moment.  I am trying not to take anything but have been doing deep breathing, especaily alternate nasal breathing.    Try singing, have the radio on, eat slowly, try and get lost in a good book.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I used to sing in a rock and pop chor before we moved which I loved as I love singing. I did find it helped as well with anxiety.  I have not felt like or found anything to replace itr as yet but will look after Christmas.  I do deep breathing as well but it does not seem to help so much lately.  
  • Posted

I'm dealing with the same symptoms you are, but I also feel like there's a tight muscle in my left trap/shoulder area. I'm not sure if it's anxiety, stomach issues or heart issues. However, one thing is for sure, anxiety makes everything worse. Trust your doctor, try to relax the mind, even though that's hard, and come on here for a chat with us fellow anxiety survivors. 💜

• Posted

Talk again with your GP. Try making the appointment a double on and then make a list of all your worries and concerns the list will jog your memory and also help you not miss anything out. The double appointment will help the Doctor help you

B.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  Yes I have done this in the past a double appointment with a list of concerns.  I will do so again.  I think partly it is because it takes a while with a new gp for them and you to get to know one another and it tooks ages for all my records to come through so the new one does not know all about me and my problems. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.